I can't ping host after reboot

bit_creepy

Jun 17, 2023
After spending a few hours getting my Proxmox server setup the way I wanted from scratch, I wanted to test the VM/LXC startup order. Upon startup though I was unable to access the webui. I then found I was unable to ping the host. I've also tried connected with a USB to Ethernet adapter to test if it's the mobo Ethernet, but still it's not reachable in any way. I simply cannot work it out. Please help.

Below are my ip a and netwrok interface settings:

20230617_153826-min.jpg
20230617_155233-min.jpg
20230617_154625-min.jpg
20230617_154532-min.jpg

Update:
I noticed my enp4s0 adaptor is no longer listed in ip link.

Update 2:
I resolved the issue by reflashing my mobo BIOS using Gigabyte's Q-Flash feature (not an update, just re-flash). I hadn't even made an BIOS changes, so not happy with how unstable my new mobo is so far.

Last edited:
I didn't change the NIC name. I just re-flashed the BIOS and it became available again. I've noticed this keeps happening upon a Proxmox VE reboot, which isn't ideal at all. I'm not sure if it's a mobo issue and something in Proxmox. I'm not sure 'ifreload -a' would resolve anything.

The name of the NIC depends on where on the PCI bus it is enumerated. Different BIOS versions, or changes to the PCI devices attached to the motherboard can cause changes in the NIC name.

Reactions: Moayad
The name of the NIC depends on where on the PCI bus it is enumerated. Different BIOS versions, or changes to the PCI devices attached to the motherboard can cause changes in the NIC name.
Thanks Aaron. It seems to me the NIC is missing altogether according to my 'ip a' screenshot post above. If I'm wrong, which one of those interfaces listed in above screenshot is the NIC? And more crucially, how do I stop this from changing name?

I did some experimenting and found that by installing the following it seems to now behave when rebooting PVE:

Code:
apt-get install --reinstall ifupdown2

Then I ran
Code:
ifreload -a

I'll admit I don't really know what I'm doing though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!