I can't install Promox

WhiteTiger

May 16, 2020
Italy
I am installing Promox on an HP Proliant Ml150 G2 server. It is not recent, but still functional.
These are the characteristics.
https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/provisioner/05/366358-421.htm

I can't install Promox. It stops immediately after detecting the network card addresses with dhcp.

There is an integrated network card on the Motherboard and 2 other additional cards.
Then there are 4 SATA disks in RAID 5 with one controller and two other disks on a second controller.
On this we have NOT activated RAID 1 to have two separate disks.
On one disk I would have installed the operating system and the second one I still don't know how to use it.

The CPU is an XEON 3, O GHz. The RAM is 8GB

Last edited:
I will try so. How should I partition the disk?
Also, do you recommend keeping the two disks separate or mirroring?
There are 6 SATA 160GB disks and two controllers. 4 disks are already in RAID 5. The other two I kept separate.

Personally i always mirror my system root drive.

So i would go with raid1 for proxmox root and raid5 for vm data.

160gb is more then enough for the pve root.

As you use hardware controllers go with lvm + ext4

Personally i always mirror my system root drive.

So i would go with raid1 for proxmox root and raid5 for vm data.

160gb is more then enough for the pve root.

As you use hardware controllers go with lvm + ext4
If I have to install Debian first, as suggested above, I need to know how to partition the disk in Debian for boot, root, home, var,...

If I have to install Debian first, as suggested above, I need to know how to partition the disk in Debian for boot, root, home, var,...

Like said i would go with lvm + ext4, i wouldnt do seperate partitions, do everything on root.

The gui installer does it for you, just select lvm and everything on a single partition when asked.

You can set up the other raid5 later within the proxmox gui.

Like said i would go with lvm + ext4, i wouldnt do seperate partitions, do everything on root.

The gui installer does it for you, just select lvm and everything on a single partition when asked.

You can set up the other raid5 later within the proxmox gui.
You must excuse me, but I have never worked with LVM.
From what I understand, I have to create a single ext4 root partition on a disk.
Then I launch Proxmox and he is the one who uses LVM on raid5.
it's right?

==== Update ====
With Debian I do not recognize the controller Adaptec and only see the two separate disks and not the logical disk created with RAID 1 (Hardware).

I will never understand why we continue to use Debian which refuses to use commercial drivers when there are other reliable OS, such as Ubuntu, which do not pose the problem of maintaining Open Source virginity.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!