[SOLVED] I can't find any way to mount Hetzner's StorageBox as CIFS

I can mount the Hetzner storage box on one of my Hetzner Proxmox Hosts and on my homelab servers without any issues using the Proxmox GUI.
which proxmox version? in an older kernel, smb1 was the default...

those are two different servers.. maybe the one from ovh simply does not support anything newer than v1 ?

I don't believe that is the case. I have also tried mounting the SMB Share from inside one of my Ubuntu 18.04 VMs, which works perfectly with any smb version.

From what I have discovered, I am experiencing the same issues as @Razva who has started this thread.

I don't believe that is the case. I have also tried mounting the SMB Share from inside one of my Ubuntu 18.04 VMs, which works perfectly with any smb version.
the please provide the same command output you already provided again but from the ubuntu vm

the please provide the same command output you already provided again but from the ubuntu vm

Here you go, Samba Version 1.0:
Code:
mount.cifs //***.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt -o user=***,pass=***,vers=1.0 --verbose
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=195.201.***.***,unc=\\***.your-storagebox.de\backup,vers=1.0,user=***,pass=********

Code:
mount.cifs //***.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt -o user=***,pass=***,vers=2.0 --verbose
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=195.201.***.***,unc=\\***.your-storagebox.de\backup,vers=2.0,user=***,pass=********

Code:
mount.cifs //***.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt -o user=***,pass=***,vers=3.0 --verbose
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=195.201.***.***,unc=\\***.your-storagebox.de\backup,vers=3.0,user=***,pass=********

No Version specified:
Code:
mount.cifs //***.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt -o user=***,pass=*** --verbose
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=195.201.***.***,unc=\\***.your-storagebox.de\backup,user=***,pass=********

ok thanks...

i have to correct myself. after reading the manpage again, the '--verbose' has to be put before the options
so
Code:
mount.cifs //path/share --verbose -o options

could you be so kind as to provide the outputs (with the correct verbose position) again?
without more info there is sadly not much we can do...

ok thanks...

i have to correct myself. after reading the manpage again, the '--verbose' has to be put before the options
so
Code:
mount.cifs //path/share --verbose -o options

could you be so kind as to provide the outputs (with the correct verbose position) again?
without more info there is sadly not much we can do...

Changing the position of the verbose parameter in the mount command did not affect the output in any way. It does not output more debugging information than previously. I have also checked dmesg for any useful information, but everything it says is
Code:
[174079.130370] CIFS: Attempting to mount //***.your-storagebox.de/backup
[174084.520729] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -2

ok, can you tell me the kernel version and cifs-util is installed on the ubuntu vm?

what you could try is to do an 'strace' of the failing mount.cifs call and check what exactly fails
for that you would have to install the package 'strace' and call it like this:

Code:
strace -f mount.cifs.... > 2>&1 /tmp/mount.cifs.log
and attach the log here

ok, can you tell me the kernel version and cifs-util is installed on the ubuntu vm?

what you could try is to do an 'strace' of the failing mount.cifs call and check what exactly fails
for that you would have to install the package 'strace' and call it like this:

Code:
strace -f mount.cifs.... > 2>&1 /tmp/mount.cifs.log
and attach the log here

the ubuntu-vm is running Kernel Version 4.15.0-96-generic and cifs-utils (2:6.8-1)

Your provided command threw the following error: -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `2'

Therefore I have used the following command for strace: strace -f -o /tmp/mount.cifs.log mount.cifs ...

I have attached the output as a log file

Attachments

• mount.cifs.log
    7 KB · Views: 6
mhmm... that output seems incomplete, also id does not show any error, did you run this on the host?

mhmm... that output seems incomplete, also id does not show any error, did you run this on the host?
Yes, I did run this on the PVE Host and the mount failed according to dmesg with the following output:
Code:
[174079.130370] CIFS: Attempting to mount //***.your-storagebox.de/backup
[174084.520729] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -2

i checked the log and you called it with '-V' not with '--verbose', please try again with '--verbose'. '-V' puts out the version and does not actually mount anything

i checked the log and you called it with '-V' not with '--verbose', please try again with '--verbose'. '-V' puts out the version and does not actually mount anything
Sorry, my fault. Here is the proper error log now.

Attachments

• mount.cifs.log
    20.9 KB · Views: 7
mhmm.. ok sadly this does not show much more info (i am sorry for the back and forth, but i cannot really reproduce this here...)
a further step would be to enable kernel debugging for samba
see https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFS_troubleshooting
the chapter 'Enabling Debugging', please do those steps and deliver a dmesg afterwards, (do not forget to turn off debugging afterwards)
hopefully this sheds some light on this...

mhmm.. ok sadly this does not show much more info (i am sorry for the back and forth, but i cannot really reproduce this here...)
a further step would be to enable kernel debugging for samba
see https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFS_troubleshooting
the chapter 'Enabling Debugging', please do those steps and deliver a dmesg afterwards, (do not forget to turn off debugging afterwards)
hopefully this sheds some light on this...

Alright, so here is the usual mount.cifs output:
Code:
mount.cifs --verbose //***.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt/pve/storage-box -o user=***,pass=***,vers=3.0
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=195.201.107.44,unc=\\u205813.your-storagebox.de\backup,vers=3.0,user=***,pass=********
mount error(2): No such file or directory
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

However the dmesg log looks pretty promising

Attachments

• cifs-dmesg.log
    3.6 KB · Views: 9
did you filter the dmesg?
there is still not enough info (at least for me) to see exactly where the problem is..
it would be excellent if you could provide the unfiltered (except anonymization) dmesg for 4 combinations:

* failing on the host with vers 3.0
* succeeding in the guest with vers 3.0
* succeeding on the host with vers 1.0
* succeeding in the guest with vers 1.0

with that information i could probably find out more

alternatively, you could also post this on the kernel bugracker for ubuntu (launchpad) since we use an ubuntu kernel as base
(and we do not change anything for cifs), maybe there is someone there who knows more than me

did you filter the dmesg?
there is still not enough info (at least for me) to see exactly where the problem is..
it would be excellent if you could provide the unfiltered (except anonymization) dmesg for 4 combinations:

* failing on the host with vers 3.0
* succeeding in the guest with vers 3.0
* succeeding on the host with vers 1.0
* succeeding in the guest with vers 1.0

with that information i could probably find out more

alternatively, you could also post this on the kernel bugracker for ubuntu (launchpad) since we use an ubuntu kernel as base
(and we do not change anything for cifs), maybe there is someone there who knows more than me

Alright, so here are all the dmesg logs. They are completely unfiltered, the username has been anonymized.

Attachments

• dmesg-guest-smbv3.log
    17.1 KB · Views: 1
  • dmesg-guest-smbv1.log
    11.9 KB · Views: 1
  • dmesg-host-smbv1.log
    8.4 KB · Views: 1
  • dmesg-host-smbv3.log
    3.7 KB · Views: 1
ok from comparing the outputs, it seems that the host never gets an answer from the server when it requests smb3
Code:
[1936073.119295] fs/cifs/smb2pdu.c: Negotiate protocol
[1936073.119300] fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb: smb_len=106
[1936073.302082] fs/cifs/connect.c: Received no data or error: 0

vs the working one in the guest
Code:
[1920629.180105] /build/linux-UDHJtG/linux-4.15.0/fs/cifs/smb2pdu.c: Negotiate protocol
[1920629.180109] /build/linux-UDHJtG/linux-4.15.0/fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb: smb_len=102
[1920629.296835] /build/linux-UDHJtG/linux-4.15.0/fs/cifs/connect.c: RFC1002 header 0x0
[1920629.296837] /build/linux-UDHJtG/linux-4.15.0/fs/cifs/connect.c: RFC 1002 positive session response

ok from comparing the outputs, it seems that the host never gets an answer from the server when it requests smb3
Code:
[1936073.119295] fs/cifs/smb2pdu.c: Negotiate protocol
[1936073.119300] fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb: smb_len=106
[1936073.302082] fs/cifs/connect.c: Received no data or error: 0

vs the working one in the guest
Code:
[1920629.180105] /build/linux-UDHJtG/linux-4.15.0/fs/cifs/smb2pdu.c: Negotiate protocol
[1920629.180109] /build/linux-UDHJtG/linux-4.15.0/fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb: smb_len=102
[1920629.296835] /build/linux-UDHJtG/linux-4.15.0/fs/cifs/connect.c: RFC1002 header 0x0
[1920629.296837] /build/linux-UDHJtG/linux-4.15.0/fs/cifs/connect.c: RFC 1002 positive session response

What would be the next debugging step? Creating a tcpdump and comparing the outputs?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!