[SOLVED] I can't do a full backup

galvatec

Sep 1, 2021
I recently installed the Proxmox Backup Server then I configured it in Proxmox and backed up the VM but by my mistake I deleted the full backup and now every time the backup is made it is only the incremental one, I deleted all the backups I changed the drive backup storage but it only does the incremental.

1646132280703.png

The backups in your screenshot are vzdump backups, which are always full backups and don't use the Proxmox Backup Server in any way.

Please provide the VM config (qm config 100) and the storage config (cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg)

Follow the VM settings

root@pve1:~# qm config 100
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 4
machine: pc-i440fx-6.1
memory: 4160
meta: creation-qemu=6.1.0,ctime=1644774016
name: WIN10-APP-SERVER
net0: e1000=3A:85:9D:77:28:31,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
parent: SEXTA
protection: 1
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-0,backup=0,cache=writeback,discard=on,size=550G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=60e8bf3b-5200-4685-a813-06d1ebc9488e
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1,size=4M,version=v2.0
vmgenid: b1d0ca87-0a6f-4aaf-9d83-2affb26ccdf4

storage settings

root@pve1:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content backup,vztmpl,iso
prune-backups keep-all=1
shared 0

zfspool: local-zfs
pool rpool/data
content rootdir,images
sparse 1

dir: STORAGE1
path /mnt/pve/STORAGE1
content snippets,backup,vztmpl,images,rootdir,iso
is_mountpoint 1
nodes pve1
prune-backups keep-all=1
shared 0

What is strange is that this VM has about 80GB of files, but the backup is very small, I want to make a full backup and then start doing incremental backups, I used the Proxmox vbackup server, I took it off to check if I would follow through make a full backup

The issue is this right here:
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-0,backup=0,cache=writeback,discard=on,size=550G
You don't backup the disk.

When it comes to backups, you have to decide if you want to use vzdump or PBS. Both always create full backups, but PBS will deduplicate common chunks between backups. This leads to less space used for backups in most cases.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!