I broke my Proxmox node and need help.

doni49

May 31, 2023
I have PM installed on a mini PC. It has one internal NIC and two USB NICs. I was trying to figure out which one was which in the PM interface because I wanted to use one as the WAN interface to plug into my modem (I'm setting up a pfSense VM).

I unplugged the Ethernet cables from the to USB devices and was still able to ping the IP address assigned to the PM node. So I was confident as to which NIC provided access to the node. I removed the other two.

But then PM just stopped allowing me to connect via the WebUI. I am able to login to the CLI and if I ping the IP address assigned to the node, I get a good response. Now the NIC isn't currently plugged into anything as my only monitor and keyboard are nowhere near the modem. So at best that just means the NIC isn't dead (AFAICT). Im going to attach photos of the output from IP a, cat /etc/network/interfaces and lspci |grep 'Ethernet'. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to do for troubleshooting. I'm pretty green as far as the *nix environment.

And YES I did do a Google search. That's where I found the suggestions to use these commands. But the closest issue I could find was someone saying that their NIC died and they needed to replace it.

EDIT: Never mind. I also asked for help on Reddit. Someone there helped me track the issue down. The NIC was no longer listed in the bridge that the PM node uses. I'll go ahead and leave this in case someone else ever has a similar issue -- unless of course the mods decide its not worthy since its been resolved. Here's a link to the reddit thread with the discussion that got it resolved.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/13w6x9x/i_managed_to_make_my_webui_unreachable/

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!