[SOLVED] Hyper-V VM moved to Proxmox no longer has networking adapter

Apr 27, 2022
A running Windows Server 2016 VM shall move to Proxmox - It boots up on our 7.1.4 Proxmox node just fine, but reports no network connection, even though the definition says to have E1000 NIC, and the E1000 NIC does show up in the device manager without an exclamation mark, but as running.

I've tried the Realtek (which comes up like the Intel one in device manager as working), I have tried the VirtIO one, which comes up in device manager as missing driver, but the driver installation fails with (german) error message
1654415709840.png
Basically: Error installing driver - The process was returned due to timeout.

Anyone has an idea, how to proceed?

I already tried removing all previous NICs in the device manager, resetted the network with netsh et al.

Still no go.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as I want to move a dozen or so VMs from Hyper-V to Proxmox to reduce the number of hypervisors in the company.

More information: Running the VM under Hyper-V Hypervisor inside our Proxmox 7.2-4 node works, but is not really a solution.

Anyone ever experienced something similar?

Thank you very much, mijanek.

That did the trick. I have to work on my google fu, but I never expected the language to be the cause of issues. I know why I prefer to install server systems in English, but one has to work with what others provided.

Thanks again, and have a great week.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!