HW Raid and HBA on same backplane

Digitaldaz

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2014
On an eight disk backplane, two sas 8087 connectors, I've currently got one sas cable plugged into onboard hardware raid and one port plugged into a 9211 HBA, does anyone see any problem with this? I did it without thinking but wondered if it may cause an issue in the future?

Hi,

backplane with multiplexer somtimes make problem and not recommended with ceph or zfs.
But without know the exact HW of your System, I would say there will no problems with this setup.

Wolfgang thanks. By multiplexer do you mean SAS expander? If so no, there isn't one.

Its an IBM x3650 M4. On the HW raid controller I just wanted to be able to mirror the OS with two drives and with the 4 on the HBA its 4 x SM863a 960GB for ceph which I think I will wait to implement when the new ceph is stable, in the meantime using iscsi SAN.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!