HW changes stay orange

Wexy101

Feb 2, 2021
SuperNube here, giving Proxmox a shot given the good reviews but finding it difficult to visualise the virtual infrastructure of the system, hopefully i'll get better at that.

The probelm i'm having is i make changes to the HW of a VM and their in orange, how do i apply the changes (1 is simply remove cd drive) I have rebooted.

Reactions: neail
Hi,
The probelm i'm having is i make changes to the HW of a VM and their in orange, how do i apply the changes (1 is simply remove cd drive) I have rebooted.
Not all hardware or configuration changes to Virtual Machines or Containers can be hot-plugged live, those are then recorded as pending change and show up highlighted orange to visualize that it is not yet applied.

To apply such changes a full guest reboot is required, note that if you trigger the reboot from inside the VM, that VM may not really fully stop and thus the changes do not get applied.
What always works is using the reboot of the VM or CT from the Proxmox VE interface - or naturally a powerdown and new start of that VM/CT.

Hope that helps!

Perfect, thank you for the detailed responce, i had indeed rebooted form inside the VM, Using proxmax to reboot the VM resulted in the changes applying.

THanks again

the cloudinit drive is such an object which cannot be changed in a running machine, for example if you want to move ALL storage into a new one.

Hi,

Not all hardware or configuration changes to Virtual Machines or Containers can be hot-plugged live, those are then recorded as pending change and show up highlighted orange to visualize that it is not yet applied.

To apply such changes a full guest reboot is required, note that if you trigger the reboot from inside the VM, that VM may not really fully stop and thus the changes do not get applied.
What always works is using the reboot of the VM or CT from the Proxmox VE interface - or naturally a powerdown and new start of that VM/CT.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for clarifying that VM self-reboot and Hypervisor reboot are different.

Is this fixed, because I can't get it to accept the changes.
Scenario is as follow:
VM is started, I recognize I missconfigured something and change it in options/hardware tab. The old value get crossed out and the new settings are orange under the crossed out. I shutdown the machine / reset / restart over the proxmox gui. The orange settings stay the same and won't get applied. Do I have to click something else? For now I click revert settings and reapply them when the vm is off.
Reloading the webgui won't help it just stays orange

Edit
Now it works, but often it does not. Maybe 1 of 10 it works.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!