HP Proliant mv350 G6 - No harddisk to install on.

Mighty_Pooh

Dec 5, 2017
Hi there people at the proxmox forums.
Im trying to install proxmox on a server i got from a friend.
I tryed 5.1 and 3.4 but both fail under the installations saying there is no harddisk to install it to.
I run 2x 300 gb SAS disks and 2x 143 GB SAS disks. Does anyone have any idea what i should try to do to get on with my project?

Hi there people at the proxmox forums.
Im trying to install proxmox on a server i got from a friend.
I tryed 5.1 and 3.4 but both fail under the installations saying there is no harddisk to install it to.
I run 2x 300 gb SAS disks and 2x 143 GB SAS disks. Does anyone have any idea what i should try to do to get on with my project?
You should create a RAID0 with the disk you want to boot on using the Raid Manager. Most server types (HP, Fujitsu, ...) are not able to boot directly on single disk attached to their internal RAID controller if the disk is not seen as a RAID device.

dcsapak thanks. I get the same error with debian though, it says i should choose a driver from the driver list. But when i look at the raid controlle i can see a sticker that says SN gq11mq4135 but google gives zero output on that.

Belokan: thanks i boot from a cdrom but it cant find the harddisk when i want to install to it seems like a driver issue.

Last edited:
Belokan: thanks i boot from a cdrom but it cant find the harddisk when i want to install to it seems like a driver issue.
Have you created a RAID0 device with the disk you want to install the OS using the RAID controller BIOS ?

Belokan i think it is created but now that you say so i guess i should figure out how to do that first just to check thank you.

Hi!

Do you use an external RAID Controller or the onboard one? If you install plane debian you can add the RAID drivers at the installation process, but I can't remember how atm.

I use the onboard one. But even with HP SSA tools it says there is no discs on the system. But i do have 2x 146 gb SAS and 2x 300 GB SaS.

Is the RAID Controller Firmware up to date? Can you post the version of the controller

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!