HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 - RaidController HP P410 - Passthrough Probleme

HI!
any update on this?

running the latest version of proxmox and can not pass through my sata controller.

it is a Marvell Technology, 88SE9128 PCIe sata with hyperDou

edit: another question on the topic.
my original plan was to boot proxmox from the new controller and to passthrough all the drives i have on the microserver.
that gave me something like "can't find rpool" or something...sorry can give the proper error later.
do need to reinstall proxmox for that to work?
did anyone try to passthough the original controller?

Last edited:
Hello, I also have abn issue with proxmox and a LSI SAS card. The only way to achieve passthrough is still to aptch the proxmox host ?

So today isn't monday but still, just tried out as the HP advisory explained, just did it for all Slots 1-6 in my system at once (as you can guess the exclude.dat ist just xml-ish, having multiple entries just works fine). Boot, unbind kernel driver, bind vfio_pci and passtrough to the q35 machine, and voila, it works. No more (rather hardcore) kernel patching.

So today isn't monday but still, just tried out as the HP advisory explained, just did it for all Slots 1-6 in my system at once (as you can guess the exclude.dat ist just xml-ish, having multiple entries just works fine). Boot, unbind kernel driver, bind vfio_pci and passtrough to the q35 machine, and voila, it works. No more (rather hardcore) kernel patching.

Would you mind elaborating in detail how you did this? This should work for a ML310e Gen 8 as well, right?

That method worked for me as well on a Proliant ML350p Gen8 to passthrough an HBA card to my FreeNAS VM under Proxmox 6
Just follow the guide from Engelant and you're good to go

So I was able to get the HP tools to exclude Slot 2 (my p420), but when proxmox loads my HP DL380e freaks out and goes 100% fan load. This is accompanied by some errors during the loading process. However my VM seems to be happy enough with the passthrough device since it loads. Can anyone help me resolve the issue with the PC Bus errors that get thrown since I made the change to the BIOS exclusions?

Attachments

• IMG_20191228_201147.png
    IMG_20191228_201147.png
    988.6 KB · Views: 49
So I was able to get the HP tools to exclude Slot 2 (my p420), but when proxmox loads my HP DL380e freaks out and goes 100% fan load. This is accompanied by some errors during the loading process. However my VM seems to be happy enough with the passthrough device since it loads. Can anyone help me resolve the issue with the PC Bus errors that get thrown since I made the change to the BIOS exclusions?

This does not work on HP Microserver Gen8 unfortnately. The kernel patch is still required for this model.

Also it does not seem to work for anything below Gen8 because HP is just a horrible company.

Ich melde mich hier jetzt noch einmal zu Wort, denn ich habe es tatsächlich geschafft meinen HP Smart Array Controller P410 samt Platten im Raid0 Verbund an ein Gastsystem durchzureichen..

das sind jetzt meine Endgültigen Schritte, um das System zum laufen zu bekommen:

Installation von Proxmox 3.4:
proxmox-ve_3.4-102d4547-6.iso
http://www.proxmox.com/de/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-3-4-iso-installer

nach der installation ein komplettes Update und ein neustart
/etc/apt/sources.list anpassen und folgendes hinzufügen:

Code:
#Proxmox VE 3.x No-Subscription
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-no-subscription

#Proxmox VE 3.x Test
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pvetest

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

Anderen Kernel installieren 3.10:
Sammlung: http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/wheezy/pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/
http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/wheezy/pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/
Installiert:
pve-kernel-3.10.0-3-pve_3.10.0-11_amd64.deb
Direktlink:
http://download.proxmox.com/debian/...4/pve-kernel-3.10.0-3-pve_3.10.0-11_amd64.deb

herunterladen mit wget in die laufende Proxmox Instanz.
Installieren mit :
dpkg -i pve-kernel-3.10.0-3-pve_3.10.0-11_amd64.deb

danach ein Neustart und in Grub darauf achten, dass auch von dem Kernel gebootet wird.

Einstellungen in Proxmox:

/etc/default/grub anpassen

--->
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on  iommu=pt"

iommu=pt war bei mir wichtig, da ich sonst diesen Fehler beim durchreichen erhalten habe:

[ 35.715620] dmar: DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [07:00.0] fault addr ffee0000
[ 35.715620] DMAR:[fault reason 05] PTE Write access is not set

/etc/modules folgendes einfügen:
--->
Code:
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

Treibermodul auf die Blacklist:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf und darin:
Code:
blacklist hpsa

da über lspci -vvv: Kernel driver in use: hpsa angeigt wurde.

danach noch initramfs neu schreiben:
update-initramfs -u

und Grub updaten:
update-grub

danach alles neu starten !!!!!

nach dem Reboot folgendes in die vm.conf eintragen:
--->
Code:
hostpci0: 07:00.0,driver=vfio

und schon hatte ich den RaidController in meiner Openmediavault VM. Zugriff auf den Controller, auf die Platten und und und..
Wäre zwar sehr cool, wenn das mit den neueren Versionen von Proxmox auch so funktionieren würde. aber immerhin läuft es jetzt mal so wie ich es haben wollte..
Nice work and thanks a lot. For me I had to !NOT! include this
Code:
for it to be working.

Nice work and thanks a lot. For me I had to !NOT! include this
Code:
for it to be working.
I'm trying to do it but I still get an error when starting the VM.

Can you explain how didi you do it?

thank you in advance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!