[SOLVED] HP hotsawapped disk doesn't show in PROXMOX

voarsh

Nov 20, 2020
I pulled a disk out, did a piece of maintenance and put it back.

Am I supposed to do something to get it to show up? lsblk doesn't show it. The whole point of hot swap is not rebooting.

Check your logs and see if the system has detected the new disk.
On my end hotswap (LSI JBOD) works great.
So I would guess it is related to your system. Which controller do you use?

I am not sure if I should run a command to power down the disk before removing it.
But, for whatever reason, removing it and putting it back caused a logical drive to fail. Annoying because there was nothing actually wrong, and that can only be fixed with a restart and to accept "data loss" (none). FYI it's a HPE Smart Array (Smart Array P420i Controller).

I'm not sure I want to try hot swapping any time soon. :/
I had to migrate lots of data to another box for a few minutes to restart. Argh.

From what i read I think you have a solid misconception of your gear.

First of all: the raid controller masks disk activity from Proxmox. So what you see has nothing to do with Proxmox.

Second you seem to misunderstand what hot-swap means. It means you can exchange disks on the fly with new ones.

In your case the arrival of the new disk is happening on the raid controller level. Nothing Proxmox has to do yet again.

Third: your raid level decides if you can do hot-swap activities without experiencing data loss.
From what you tell I guess you were not using redundant level (e.g. 1, 5, 10, etc.).

So bottom line: check your configuration and validate that what you are doing actually can be compensated by your gear.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!