How to upgrade to the lastest kernel?

Blais

Mar 28, 2017
Hi,

I'm lucky to have a PC equipped with a Ryzen chip. However, in order for the GPU to work properly for the moment, and to be able to play with fluidity, it seems to me that at least the core 4.12 must be tried. That is why I would like to have the procedure to try to upgrade my version, but I do not really have the procedure. The only thing I know is to clone the pve-kernel repository and make a make command.

If someone told me what to do, it would be nice.

Thanks for reading me.

Let's say that in life, everything is possible. Make your Proxmox great again!
So, do you have a procedure?

vooze was being polite. I am sure that will make your Proxmox broken. Install arch and use kvm there with kernel 4.12 which is in testing right now.

I thought I was polite, sorry. As I use the Google translation, my feeling is not the most authentic.
In short, basically, I ask how can I update the kernel. The updating of the patches is not very difficult and I think it is a shame not to exploit the workforce as mine. Of course I'm not a developer but I'm still able to apply patches and work on rejected parts for it works.
If Arch Linux does not work either, I might waste my time. That's why I do not want to leave Proxmox because migration always takes time. I prefer to wait.

Proxmox provides their own kernels. They have their own build environment for their kernels. Their kernel sources come from the Ubuntu kernel sources. You can find the kernel build environment in the Proxmox GIT repo. As long as you backport any changes they make specifically in their kernel distribution, I don't see any reason why you can't attempt to build and install a newer kernel yourself.

However, I would definitely not go downloading a standard kernel from Internetland (tm) and install it. It may work but it also may not (and probably won't) work.

So you really have two choices. Wait and see if Proxmox sources from the 4.12 kernel or build your own using their GIT repo, pulling in sources from the Ubuntu kernel sources.

In fact, I think the kernel is not ready for 4.12 because there are still patches on kernel version 4.13 on the npt problem.

I have compiled a 4.13-rc2 kernel with the available patches from your git repository to try to paste at best. Everything is fine at my level, except executing LXC commands from pveproxy. Do you have an idea?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!