How to update appliances

bigbang

Mar 24, 2023
I have three appliances based on Ubuntu. How do I update them?
I do not see a button for that in the GUI.
Do I have to update each one of them at the command line once they are running?
I searched everywhere I could without success.

I just upgraded my Proxmox VE to 7.4 without difficulty.

You neither told us what those appliances are, nor if you run them in a VM or LXC.
You should have a look at the documentation of those appliances. They usually will have a whole chapter on how to do major and minor upgrades.

I should have mentioned that they are LXCs .
I used the CT template Ubuntu 22.04 from Proxmox for all three. My question relates to updating those three Ubuntu setups. Two of them have additional software, the last one has none yet.

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo do-release-upgrade -d to upgrade a ubuntu to the next major version.

Reactions: bigbang
So I have to update EACH container individually (instead of asking Proxmox to do a group operation). That is what I was looking for.

Thank you for your quick help.

PVE just provides the virtual hardware, it doesn't manage the guest OSs. Moat of the LXC templates don't even come from proxmox but feom third parties.

You could try something like ansible to bulk manage your guests.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!