How to uninstall broken kernel update

poppadum

Nov 29, 2023
I stupidly updated PVE when a container had locked up. Now it won't boot to the latest kernel 6.8.8.3: I get a kernel panic complaining that the initrd is corrupt or missing.

I booted into the previous kernel 6.8.8.2 and Proxmox came back up fine. I ran
apt install --reinstall proxmox-kernel-6.8.8-3-pve-signed
which seemed to work and reported no errors but I still get a kernel panic when booting kernel 6.8.8.3.

What is the correct way to uninstall then reinstall a Proxmox kernel version (PVE 8.2.4)?

Unless I'm misunderstanding it that's not what I'm trying to achieve. I do want to update to the latest kernel, but the installation got corrupted so I want to remove AND THEN REINSTALL the latest kernel.

Unless I'm misunderstanding it that's not what I'm trying to achieve. I do want to update to the latest kernel, but the installation got corrupted so I want to remove AND THEN REINSTALL the latest kernel.
You cannot uninstall the latest kernel unless to also reinstall older version of other packages. The work-around is to boot an older working kernel (see my previous answer for this).
It's unclear to me what caused your previous initrd error but maybe a update-initramfs -u -k 6.8.8-3-pve could have fixed that.
Maybe you run into a bug in kernel 6.8.8-3? Maybe share a photo of the kernel panic? I would not know how to investigate this without any more information.

Thanks, I will give update-initramfs a try.

I thought there would be a way of uninstalling/reinstalling a kernel and initrd with apt but if not I could just remove it with
proxmox-boot-tool kernel remove 6.8.8-3-pve
and wait for the next kernel update.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!