How to un-Cluster

Frozenozone

Dec 31, 2021
Hello,

I wanted a backup solution for my proxmox setup. I installed pve on a new system and added it to my main pve server cluster. This might not have been the correct way of having a backup system.

I have read the manual and have the instructions to remove the cluster. If I use the commands below will I be able to remove the cluster and not destroy my main pve server? I haven't mixed or used any resources from the so called backup server or from my main pve server.

systemctl stop pve-cluster
systemctl stop corosync

Start the cluster file system again in local mode:

pmxcfs -l
rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
rm /etc/corosync/*
killall pmxcfs
systemctl start pve-cluster

Another question is where do I run these commands? From my main pve node or my added cluster node?

I am looking at installing the Proxmox backup server for my backups.

Thanks in advance.

hi,

If I use the commands below will I be able to remove the cluster and not destroy my main pve server?
Another question is where do I run these commands? From my main pve node or my added cluster node?
you run them on the machine that you'd like to separate from your cluster.
afterwards that machine should be gone from the cluster view.

Reactions: Frozenozone
I was able to run on my main pve server "pvecm expected 1" and I am able to start my VM's. But it still shows that the other node or cluster node in the console? How can I get it out of my console view?

Thank you.

I was able to run on my main pve server "pvecm expected 1" and I am able to start my VM's. But it still shows that the other node or cluster node in the console? How can I get it out of my console view?

Thank you.
You'll likely have to backup/export your VMs and reinstall. It's not a long process for most environments. PVE is not like XCP-NG for example where pools can be clustered and then unclustered and nodes can be added or removed willy-nilly. It's much more involved than that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!