[SOLVED] How to turn on SSD emulation on existing vm that is not trim enable?

You can double click on the existing hard drive on the VM in the Hardware tab and check mark 'Discard'.

1719461393208.png
Make sure you reboot the VM to apply changes. Although, I heard it's not necessary to enable TRIM as Proxmox does this automatically when using a scsi VM 'hard disk'. I enable just for good measure (and peace of mind) :)

Reactions: wingyiulam
You can double click on the existing hard drive on the VM in the Hardware tab and check mark 'Discard'.

View attachment 70420
Make sure you reboot the VM to apply changes. Although, I heard it's not necessary to enable TRIM as Proxmox does this automatically when using a scsi VM 'hard disk'. I enable just for good measure (and peace of mind) :)
Thank you! Thanks for the clarification; I thought ssd emulation does trim.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 9.41.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 9.41.06 PM.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank you! Thanks for the clarification; I thought ssd emulation does trim.
I believe you would need to enable SSD as well.

Now I'm not too experienced with Proxmox configs, learning as I go but I believe if you include 'ssd=1' in the .conf that would enable SSD on that drive. I had to do this with one of my drives, I added the S/N manually and enabled SSD. You will need to add the VM # to the .conf - ie the VM with TrueNAS is 102 :

1719469577407.png
1719469653081.png

1719469445002.png
1719469461375.png

Please proceed with caution as I'm not too sure if it can cause issues on certain VMs if you 'suddenly' change the parameters of the drives in a VM.. I didn't have an issue with TrueNAS enabling after the fact of adding and configuring the drive with SSD=1.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

No need to go through hoops. In the (above) GUI, in Edit: Hard Disk, just click on Advanced & you will be able to set SSD emulation.

Reactions: rtorres
No need to go through hoops. In the (above) GUI, in Edit: Hard Disk, just click on Advanced & you will be able to set SSD emulation.
SSD emulation is greyed on my end.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 9.41.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 9.41.06 PM.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 12
Use VirtIO SCSI (Single) instead of VirtIO Block. The latter always lags behind in features compare to the former.
all good! I only use VirtIO SCSI (Single) for VMs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 11.47.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 11.47.00 PM.png
    377.5 KB · Views: 11
ALWAYS HAVE BACKUPS WHEN DOING SUCH CHANGES!!
Although most likely you won't have a problem.

EDIT: Happy you got it working. Maybe tag mark the thread-title with [SOLVED], (upper right hand corner under title).

ALWAYS HAVE BACKUPS WHEN DOING SUCH CHANGES!!
Although most likely you won't have a problem.

EDIT: Happy you got it working. Maybe tag mark the thread-title with [SOLVED], (upper right hand corner under title).
is this what you meant? I am sorry, I am so new to proxmox; I only have a month of experience! I wanna make sure I am doing right!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-06-27 at 12.09.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-27 at 12.09.41 AM.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 5

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!