How to transfer physical storage with data to a new Proxmox VE host?

OhmtaXs

Dec 12, 2022
Hi there, I've setup a new Proxmox VE on new hardware. Now I try to move the HDD's from the old host with data on it to the new host.
I can see the Disks are listed under Host -> Disks but I dont get them listed under Datacenter -> Storage.

Sorry if i'm doing something absolut basicly wrong but I dont get it.

Disks but I dont get them listed under Datacenter -> Storage.
Much would depend on what type of "storage pool" these disks constituted previously.
What you are seeing in the above mentioned location is a "Proxmox Storage Pool". It would not be created automatically by just having disks present.
You may want to look at the context of "/etc/pve/storage.cfg" and transfer the corresponding entry to new PVE.
There may be additional steps that would depend on whether your disks were part of LVM, ZFS, etc.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: OhmtaXs
Hi bbgeek, thx for th fast reply. I tried to copy the entrys for the Disk from the old to the new PVE. Know they show up in Datacenter->Storages but I thinks that was not the whole thing.
Heres a screenshot from the two Disks they I've moved into the new Host.
1717079355112.png
I hope this will make my situation clearer

Reactions: OhmtaXs
Thx for that I'll work that trough and let you know about the result.
But first I need to eat something ;)

Hi @bbgeek17 thx a lot for your help. Know it looks right so far.
The Solution was both of your mentioned Steps together and and now I can access and use the transfered Disks.
Know its time to check if everything works fine as soon as i restored the VMs that had used these Storages but thats an other topic :)

Best Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!