How to track down IO delay?

starkruzr

Hi,

I have two hosts clustered together, one is an i7-3770 and the other is a Xeon E3-1620. Somewhat recently I've had the i7 machine start showing a lot of IO delay in the metrics console, and it would peg at 99% and slow everything to a crawl for a few minutes. I thought this might be the fault of the janky local storage contraption I had on there, which is a 4-disk Vantec hardware RAID USB3 DAS configured in RAID10, but I moved all the volumes running on that machine onto the 10G FreeNAS machine I have running NFS and am still getting large amounts of IO delay. How can I figure out where this is coming from?

Thanks.

Now that's an old CPU. Kernel version and PVE version?

Code:
apt install iotop

Run iotop and see if you find a process going for a lot of i/o.

Code:
vmstat 3

How many context switches?

Last edited:
This is hard to narrow down, could it be bottle neck on network, I am myself seeing a similar issue on a 4 node cluster with ceph , turning off VMs or moving to other nodes helped but did not eliminated it completely. Still working on figuring it out, will post an update if I find something useful.

You're using Ceph, which makes it a whole different story to narrow it down. OP is not using a distributed filesystem and even had this issue with local storage. Haider, you should open a new thread for your problem.

You're using Ceph, which makes it a whole different story to narrow it down. OP is not using a distributed filesystem and even had this issue with local storage. Haider, you should open a new thread for your problem.
I will, I was just trying to see what others see.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!