How to test VM/CT updates

lemel

May 14, 2023
Let's say a software I run has an update that I want to test before deploying, how would you do it? Do you have duplicate the VMs or CTs to run the update, test and then make that the actual server? How that that impact any port forwarding or reverse proxies?

I feel like the answer should be easy, but I'm just not sure what the right steps and orders are.

You are probably realizing that your question is completely unrelated to "Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration". This is an organizational/devops inquiry. The answer is as usual - "it depends":
- on your application
- on your infrastructure
- on your tolerance to risk
- on your time to deploy timeframe
- on urgency of the update
- on your ability to test with production load
- on many more variables

If money and expertise is not an obstacle, then you build a complete duplicate of your production (compute/storage/network), perform updates and testing there, then deploy to production when satisfied.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!