How to shut down a Proxmox cluster gracefully

M-SK

Oct 11, 2016
Hello,

As stated in title - what's the best way to shutdown a Proxmox cluster gracefully either by running a script on each node or preferably from a central location?

I have to implement and test an emergency shutdown scenario in case of severe power outage. The script should be triggered by Eaton IPP/IPM after UPS drains over a certain threshold.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

it dependence what setup you have.
Normally poweroff will shutdown all VM/LXC gracefully, assume KVM VM's have a running qemu-guest-agent or acpi is working on the guest.

If you have an external storage it must shutdown after all VM are down, because the shutdown process will stuck if you kill the disks before.

Hi,

We have a 4-node cluster running LXC over shared storage (LVM based). All VM's are HA-enabled

So, if I do a simple "init 0" on all hosts, all VM's will shut down without crazy stuff (VM restarts, migration hangs) going on because of quorum loss and shutdown race conditions etc?

Please use poweroff instead init 0
init 0 works because the init systemd compatibility layer.

Yes as long your storage box is up as long the Containers are down it will work without problems.
And it should be done parallel because when you turn of one by one you lose quorum and you can't stop them.

Ok, thanks.
Any way to assure that no quorum shenanigans occur, since I cannot ensure no race condition happens? Something like pvecm expect 1 before shut? Does that make sense?

Reactions: kwinz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!