how to setup cache for a truenas disks

mixtutor

Aug 3, 2021
I am having a little issue with using some central file for one of the autocad drawing softwares.
I created some true nas on proxmox and some users expirience problem with accessing files.
So my question is, this type of nas sharing using more write to disk because all writing changes goes to that share disk, is it better to change caching?
Now are on default values. What about ssd emulation? Is it get any better exp if i enable it or not?
This shared disks using customers from different location and countries.
They have good internet connection, also this truenas is on a 1gbit link and with 24GB ram.
So my idea is if its possible somehow to tweak it what is possible on my side.
Maybe to put disks caching to writeback because its more writing than reading.

MicrosoftTeams-image (5).png

Ontop of what kind of storage is that TrueNAS VM running? Virtual disks ons stored on CEPH/ZFS/LVM or physical disks used by "qm set" passthrough or even real physical disks attached to a HBA that is PCI passthroughed to that VM?

Ontop of what kind of storage is that TrueNAS VM running? Virtual disks ons stored on CEPH/ZFS/LVM or physical disks used by "qm set" passthrough or even real physical disks attached to a HBA that is PCI passthroughed to that VM?
true nas is using Virtual disks inside proxmox. 2 disks

And what kind of storage does your host use to store those virtual disks? With ZFS ontop of ZFS or ZFS ontop of qcow2 you would for example get alot of overhead and it might be better to just give the TrueNAS VM some dedicated physical disks.

Last edited:
And what kind of storage does your host use to store those virtual disks? With ZFS ontop of ZFS or ZFS ontop of qcow2 you would for example get alot of overhead and it might be better to just give the TrueNAS VM some dedicated physical disks.
I know its better but for now thats not option (cause many reasons).
Disks are qcow2.
its not created any zfs, instead is created lvm

zfge.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!