How to set static ip for VM'S?

tjalling

Jan 24, 2017
Hi,

Is there a way to set static ip's for virtual machines thro the web interface?

I found 1 tutorial on this forum to easly set the static ip for containers but that tutorail is not compatibel with VM'S

Whent thro the web interface 3 times and over and just cant find it.

Thanks

There are many KVM providers who offer instant KVM deployment, in which user, after payment, will almost immediately receive a KVM with root access and network already configured. User don't need to use the console to configure network.

So, I guess there is another technique here to communicate between the host and guest VM, so that host can run scripts to configure network for VM, isn't it true?

I love to here opinion of experts in the forum.

Thank you!

Most "Providers" provide you directly with an installed system, so this is very easy then. You're using a VM-as-a-Service, Proxmox VE provides Infrastructure-as-a-Service, so this is another lever of access or manageability.

If you want to create something like you describes, just install a netboot-system with PXE, DHCP etc. and create an infrastructure to create VMs via command line that directly bootes into a OS and configures it accordingling. Another way is to create templates for everything that configure itself after booting up, but this also requires some work beforehand. In any case, you need some software inside your VM that receives the configuration and does stuff with it - so no general solution.

Reactions: hinhthoi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!