[SOLVED] How to run proxmox VM's with /dev/vdX instead of standard /dev/sdX

legbreaker

Feb 26, 2020
Hi,
We are currently testing proxmox VE 5.4-13 to become our new open-source virtualization solution.
Everything is working like a charm, all the features we miss in our current virtualization solution are available and functioning pretty good in proxmox.
Pretty awesome. We are planning to get a subscription!

We are currently using Ceph RBD images for our VM's and after some research we are able to use these within proxmox:
Our Ceph cluster is completely seperate.

Within our virtualization solution, we had to make the RBD disks and resources seperately and after that merge them together as a server (VM).
Therefor we used different and exotic names in our RBD images. These RBD names did not work in proxmox..

The RBD disk webmail_rbd wasn't recognized in proxmox.. so since we had not much experience in proxmox, we read something about proxmox name conventions.

Just as a precaution, we copied the rbd webmail_rbd to vm-100-disk-0.
Proxmox recognized it immediately so we could inject the disk and the VM started to boot.. Pretty cool..
So...we just renamed the original (test) RBD vm with:
rbd mv poolname/webmail_rbd poolname/vm-100-webmail-disk-0
We really wanted some in formation in the image, because vm-100-disk-0 would be just too indistinct.

But is there a way to run our proxmox VM's in a way, the VM's will run their disk device(s) as /dev/vdX instead of /dev/sdX ?
Our VM's in our current virt. solution are running their RBD disk with disk interface virtio and therefor the disks inside the VM's are presenting a /dev/vdX
We tried all the options in proxmox, but the only proper way the VM's can boot are with:
scsi0: poolname:vm-100-webmail-disk-0,size=30G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
scsi0: poolname:vm-100-webmail-disk-0,size=30G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

The VM's will boot, but the "a start job is running for de-vda1.device" is not what we want in every VM.
How can we fix this? If there is no way in proxmox to run the VM's with /dev/vdX then I guess we have to change all the 125 Linux VM's manually.. :-/

Kind regards..

Last edited:
How the disks will show up in your VM depends on the bus type you configure for the disk. SCSI will show up as /dev/sdX. Using VirtIO Block will result in /dev/vdX.

Thanks for your reply, but we already tried that..
But I checked the proper VM settings again..
VM got into a network boot loop, disk wasn't recognized.. But suddenly I thought let's try the bios bootorder.. pressed 2 and it booted..
I took a dive into the proxmox: server view, vm, Options, Boot order.. There I changed it into virtio, instead of SCSI.. and yep.. That's the solution!
VM boots like a charm.. Perfect!
Thanks for pointing me again to these settings.. We can continue our tests.. !!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the boot order needs to be adjusted.
Can you please mark the thread as solved? Edit the first post and select the appropriate prefix next to the title. Thanks :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the boot order needs to be adjusted.
Can you please mark the thread as solved? Edit the first post and select the appropriate prefix next to the title. Thanks :)
Done.. Thanks again!!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!