How to: Router (pfSense) -> Server A (Proxmox) -> Server B (QNAP)

2malH

Apr 20, 2017
Hi there,

what I'm trying to setup at home is the following:
Router (pfSense) -> Server A (Proxmox) -> Server B (QNAP)

Server A is a Proxmox machine with an Intel Nic X550-T2 and 2 x 10GBit RJ-45 ports.
Server B is a QNAP TVS-782XT with 1 x 10GBit RJ-45 port.

Why?
The router and the servers are in two different rooms and connected with only one Cat.6 cable. Because it goes through two windows I don't want to add a second cable to connect the QNAP with the router directly. Also I don't like to buy an additional 10GBit switch for the server room if it's inevitable by any chance.

So...
The idea is to connect the QNAP to the LAN via the Proxmox server which has two RJ-45 ports. But I'm stuck on how to set this up with Proxmox. So ideally I want Proxmox to forward everything that comes and goes from this port directly to the router. So something like a IP passthrough. But I don't know if this is even possible. Does anyone have an idea on how to get me started?

So far I've installed the Intel Nic X550-T2 setup two bridges (one for each port) and while port 1 will be the in/out for the Proxmox server itself and the QNAP I need help setting up port 2 to kind of forward everything from and to the router (which includes DHCP and everything else)...

Thanks a lot in advance!

what I'm trying to setup at home is the following:
Router (pfSense) -> Server A (Proxmox) -> Server B (QNAP)

Server A is a Proxmox machine with an Intel Nic X550-T2 and 2 x 10GBit RJ-45 ports.
Server B is a QNAP TVS-782XT with 1 x 10GBit RJ-45 port.

Why?
The router and the servers are in two different rooms and connected with only one Cat.6 cable. Because it goes through two windows I don't want to add a second cable to connect the QNAP with the router directly. Also I don't like to buy an additional 10GBit switch for the server room if it's inevitable by any chance.

So...
The idea is to connect the QNAP to the LAN via the Proxmox server which has two RJ-45 ports. But I'm stuck on how to set this up with Proxmox. So ideally I want Proxmox to forward everything that comes and goes from this port directly to the router. So something like a IP passthrough. But I don't know if this is even possible. Does anyone have an idea on how to get me started?

So far I've installed the Intel Nic X550-T2 setup two bridges (one for each port) and while port 1 will be the in/out for the Proxmox server itself and the QNAP I need help setting up port 2 to kind of forward everything from and to the router (which includes DHCP and everything else)...

Create only one bridge in using both X550-T2 NICs as ports, so network from Router is prolonged to Server B.

Create only one bridge in using both X550-T2 NICs as ports, so network from Router is prolonged to Server B.

And how do I do that? Can I just enter a second device name as port? Sorry, kind of lost here.

Edit: After searching for a bit I found that a bond might be what I'm looking for? Would I create a Linux bond with both NICs as slaves? Which mode would allow me to add a server on the second NIC? Because from my understanding a bond is something you'd generally use for something like link aggregations, right? But instead of adding a second connection to the switch/router I'm adding the QNAP.

Edit 2: I now have created bond0 (a Linux bond with both NICs as ports/slaves in mode 3 - broadcast). As for the bridge I've changed the port from eth0 to bond0. The Proxmox server itself seems to work just fine connecting to pfSense and all that but the QNAP server does not get a proper connection. Any idea on what to change?

Last edited:
And how do I do that? Can I just enter a second device name as port?

Yes - that's all.
Note:
- If you do that via WEB GUI it will be put into effect only after Reboot.
- The port must not have an IP address assigned, only the bridge

Of course, if cannot afford a restart at the moment you can move the NIC from vmbr1 to vmbr0 as follows (assuming its name is enp2s2):

Code:
brctl delif vmbr1 enp2s2
brctl addif vmbr0 enp2s2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!