how to restore Proxmox configuration files

I am a bit confused now because you had previously stated that even after fresh install you can't access anymore (?), if you ask about config.db, this is not what I suggested to just copy, I gave two links how to treat the configuration. :) It can work also by copying, but it matters in which state you copy it out and how you copy it in (the cluster service has to be down at the least).

Hi esi_y,

First of all, I aplogize that the root cause was router side. Actually, I double checked with 8006 port again and again, and I found that it was deleted or something like that.
So I added this port in my router. It was my bad... Now, I followed the procedure that you gave me an link (stop pve processes, etc) and copy config.db. The network bridge was not restored, but it didn't big deal. I fixed this and now ZFS pool has been imported successfully.
I confirmed that all gues OS is up and running. Please let me ask you one thing. There are some guest OS that stored in the disk that were removed.
The problem is that these guest OS can not be deleted because the error said that the storage does not exist. Do you know how I can delete them from command line?

Appreciate for your great help!!

PS: I am not sure which time zone, but your response is very fast and I think your time zone is the same as mine (Japan) or APAC.

Last edited:
Sorry, I figured it out. I just tried to detach hard disk and remove EFI disk. After that, I could delete the node!

Thanks!

First of all, I aplogize that the root cause was router side.

No need to apologise, I just followed the logical path to troubleshoot, you can even use the steps in the future, if pveproxy responds just okay on the localhost, it is very likely the network / firewall.

Actually, I double checked with 8006 port, but it was deleted or something like that.
So I added this port in my router. It was my bad...

No worries, if you are port forwarding your 8006, be sure not to do that across public internet. The proxy is not meant to be exposed to the world. You might be better off installing reverse proxy or wireguard or use e.g. Cloudflare service to seal your inbound connections off. The service of pveproxy is not really meant to be security-hardened.

Now, I followed the procedure that you gave me an link (stop pve processes, etc) and copy config.db. The network bridge was not restored, but it didn't big deal.

Yes, that's good point! Not everything is in the config.db, the config.db is backend what is mounted into /etc/pve. The local node's network configuration is in /etc/network/interfaces. There's couple more files that might be worth backing up, but it depends on your setup - some users customise their install a lot, locally.

There's been many threads historically where everyone adds in what they consider worth backing up:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-to-backup-proxmox-configuration-files.67789/
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/official-way-to-backup-proxmox-ve-itself.126469/

I fixed this and now ZFS pool has been imported successfully.
I confirmed that all gues OS is up and running. Please let me ask you one thing. There are some guest OS that stored in the disk that were removed.
The problem is that these guest OS can not be deleted because the error said that the storage does not exist. Do you know how I can delete them from command line?

I see you have found out by now. :)

Sorry, I figured it out. I just tried to detach hard disk and remove EFI disk. After that, I could delete the node!

Appreciate for your great help!!

Good that you could get it working to your needs, lots of users forget about this altogether.

PS: I am not sure which time zone, but your response is very fast and I think your time zone is the same as mine (Japan) or APAC.

I know Proxmox only do GMT+1/2 business hours, so I need to cover for the other times for them... お役に立てて、うれしいです

Just kidding. ;) I am NOT in GMT+9, but I might be not too far, timezones wise. ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!