How to restore cephx auth on a auth free ceph cluster?

blackpaw

Renowned Member
Nov 1, 2013
Have a Ceph Cluster setup using Proxmox, where the authentication was disabled to try and improve performance (not noticeably), this was some time ago.

/etc/pve/ceph.conf
INI:
[global]
         auth_client_required = none
         auth_cluster_required = none
         auth_service_required = none

I somewhat naively tried just setting auth to cephx which result in a non-functional cluster and a stressful evening for me :) Next time I'm moving the virtual router to local storage first.

I presume I have to re-setup the keys and secrets first, any proxmox guides to this? I know the locations are different to a std ceph setup.

Thanks - Lindsay

nb. Want to restore auth because we need to access ceph rbd from a Nomad cluster using ceph-csi (same as Kubernetes) and you don't seem to be able to disable auth in its client.

Well I managed to figure it out - mostly.

2 of the mon's were missing the ceph.mon.keyring and the other one had an out of date copy. On each node running a monitor I:

Bash:
cp /etc/pve/priv/ceph.mon.keyring  /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-a/keyring (ceph-a altered for the name of your node)

Then restart all mons. mgs and osd. Could then do a ceph status etc. Cluster is now do a *slow* Global Recovery Event, but is healthy.

The only thing that isn't workin is that proxmox can't list the vm images in the storage Vm list, it displays:
rbd error: rbd: listing images failed: (2) No such file or directory (500)

rbd ls works fine from the command line and syslog shows no error. VM's are running fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!