how to resize local storage

Janvier Rwakagabo

Jul 1, 2020
Hello,

How can i resize my local storage of pve (root), to a bigger size.
From attached screenshot, i want to add space on local (pve-01), which has a space of 109.74GiB and increase to a higher space.

Regards,

Janvier R.

Attachments

• picturemessage_jghvd4oj.wre.png
    picturemessage_jghvd4oj.wre.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Hi,
before you start, I recommend having a working backup available (just in case).

Note that the local storage by default is just a directory storage. So if you resize the root filesystem, that directory will have more space available as well. The root filesystem resides on the logical volume pve/root. If you have free space on the volume group pve you can use lvextend pve/root -L+<SIZE><UNIT> (e.g. 100G for <SIZE><UNIT>).

You'll also have to resize the filesystem itself. I'd recommend booting from a live CD to do it. Then running resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-root should do the trick. If you're feeling lucky, you can also run the command without a live CD to do an online resize.

Interesting ... but how do i create a new volume? I have 100GB on pve/root and i think that the rest of 900GB are not used at all.

root@proxmox:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 16G 0 16G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.2G 1.3M 3.2G 1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root 94G 66G 24G 74% /
tmpfs 16G 49M 16G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
/dev/fuse 128M 16K 128M 1% /etc/pve
tmpfs 3.2G 0 3.2G 0% /run/user/0

Thank you.

My guess would be you are using the defaults where nearly all of the 900GB are used for your "data" LV thin-pool aka "local-lvm" storage. Check with the vgs and lvs commands whats going on with your LVM.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!