how to reset password on Proxmox Virtual Environment 1.9

michaels0007

Jan 10, 2013
Hi
I’m new to ProxmoxVirtual Environment 1.9 can someone please help me reset the password, as wegot a tech guy to setup our fileserver & he didn’t leave the username orpassword for it. I have done a Google search on resetting the password &found this http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/10280-Root-password-reset-Proxmox-VE-1-9but it I can’t get it to work.
Can someone tell me in easy to understand steps on what theusername is & how to reset the password? :confused:

Thanks

The username in Proxmox (atleast v1.9) is root

The installer may have set some easily guessable password if he was being kind to you and the whole world - try password or proxmox or his or your name!

Take a subscription at Proxmox and the real tech guys will save you.

Last edited:
The username in Proxmox (atleast v1.9) is root

The installer may have set some easily guessable password if he was being kind to you and the whole world - try password or proxmox or his or your name!

Take a subscription at Proxmox and the real tech guys will save you.

I have tried all different passwords like password, proxmox, PASSWORD, my name, PROXMOX, the tech guy cant remember the password :(. this there an easy way to reset the password, a back way in. :mad:

You will need to boot the physical machine in single user mode and then issue the command:
Code:
passwd root
and then
Code:
reboot

If you forget root password for any other reason still you can follow the steps to reset root password

1. Reboot the machine (If people are accessing service then they would get disconnected)
  2. At the grub prompt press ‘E’ or ‘e’ to pass kernel perimeters
  3. Go to the line that starts with “Linux” and add “init=/bin/sh” (without quotes) at the end of the line
  4. Then hold ctrl and press x key to boot the machine
  5. It will take to you # prompt with root privileges.
  6. / is mount as read only so you have to mount it as read/write
#mount -n -o remount,rw /
7. #vi /etc/passwd
8. Go to the line that stats with “root” and remove “x” from the second column. Save the file and reboot the machine/server
9. At login prompt enter “root” as user and you are logged in (it wont ask you password)
10. To change password
#passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!