How to replicate a zpool with all datasets to another zpool for backup

tetsujin

Mar 13, 2021
So for my setup I'm trying to simplify things. I have 1 instance of proxmox. It has a large zpool with multiple datasets. My plan is because my 2nd zpool is in an enclosure to just power it on when I want. Attach that zpool. Copy everything from my main zpool. Then detach and power off. So I have an offline backup of all my data.

The question is what is the most efficient way to do this in terms of the zfs backup. Is it as simple as doing a snapshot. Then doing a send and receive to that 2nd zpool?

I'm sorry if this is stupid I just want to make sure i get it right.

Thank you.

The question is what is the most efficient way to do this in terms of the zfs backup. Is it as simple as doing a snapshot. Then doing a send and receive to that 2nd zpool?
Pretty much. There are tools out there that can help you automate this step. For example the pve-zsync.

Pretty much. There are tools out there that can help you automate this step. For example the pve-zsync.
I know this is really late. Thank you for the response! I am still trying to come up with the best solution for my needs. I made a new post in the PBS forum. Does pve-zsync work on the same node? Like if I have 2 pools on 1 node that I want to backup 1 to another. Also, can I do file level restore? Probably manually right? Just copy 1 file to another. Would you recommend running PBS on my PVE install instead of something like pve-zsync?

This is the link to my new post:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/need-advice-on-backups-for-my-homelab-running-proxmox.99702/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!