How to replace the main disk of a Proxmox server?

ManelRB

Oct 17, 2024
Good evening,

First of all, I'm here to introduce myself. I haven't seen the typical thread for doing so.

I'm quite a novice with Proxmox. I've been using it for a little over a year and I have a fairly modest installation on a small OptiPlex 7050.

The thing is that I installed it on a 256GB SATA SSD and now it's just enough for the LXC containers I'm using ;-)

I'd like to replace it with a larger disk without losing the information but I haven't found information (or I haven't been able to search well enough) on what the official procedure is to do so.

The file system I use is a simple ext4, I don't have ZFS.

What should I do? Would it be a matter of cloning the disk using Clonezilla or something similar? In that case, how would the partitions created during the installation be enlarged proportionally?

Thanks to everyone and sorry if this topic has already been discussed before.

What should I do? Would it be a matter of cloning the disk using Clonezilla or something similar?
That should work, yes.

In that case, how would the partitions created during the installation be enlarged proportionally?
No, you can increase them with a live linux like gparted without a problem (or even in the CLI while running the OS)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!