how to replace proxmox 6 node with new hardware

Dale.Sykora

May 13, 2020
I currently have a five node cluster and want to replace node p2(172.25.36.12) with newer hardware (hp dl360g9 rather than hp dl360g8). The cluster has shared external storage (no local ceph, etc). I have migrated all guests off of node p2.

Do I need to unjoin old node p2 from cluster, poweroff, then build new node p2 with same IP and rejoin cluster? If not, what are the steps needed?

I currently have a five node cluster and want to replace node p2(172.25.36.12) with newer hardware (hp dl360g9 rather than hp dl360g8). The cluster has shared external storage (no local ceph, etc). I have migrated all guests off of node p2.

Do I need to unjoin old node p2 from cluster, poweroff, then build new node p2 with same IP and rejoin cluster? If not, what are the steps needed?
I think I found the answer here
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#_remove_a_cluster_node

Reactions: fabian
if you keep same hostname, no need to unjoin/rejoin.

copy/restore

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/corosync/corosync.conf
/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts
/var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db

then reboot, it should be ok.

if you keep same hostname, no need to unjoin/rejoin.

copy/restore

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/corosync/corosync.conf
/etc/hostname
/etc/hosts
/var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db

then reboot, it should be ok.
Thank you Spirit! I already removed node when I saw your post. But I was able to add the new server with same name and IP and just join cluster again without any issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!