How to pass VLAN 0 Priority Tags to pfSense for DHCP

EDIT: one reason mine may work is that I am not doing the EAP-auth in the router vm. It happens over a Debian bridge with the group_fwd_mask between the Ont and gateway.
Aha! This makes perfect sense. This exchange is happening over a physical link in your case vs virtual in mine.

I don't believe I ever used this method. Mainly started with the dumbswitch/rg, then went certs/wpa a year later in 2019.

or can you move the wpa-sup into Proxmox and let Debian do the EAP-Auth, then, just pass vlan0 to *sense as wan.
Tried that. The wpa auth works on the host, but no dhcp on the guest. Vlan0 is passed.

Looking at my working utm system, the request goes out untagged. Response comes in tagged vlan 0 priority 7. Wan nic is in passthrough mode to utm.

With the proxmox wpa on host, with vlan0 enabled, the request is going out on vlan0, which may be ignored because it is vlan0 as opposed to no vlan at all. So a bit of a catch 22.

Someone more knowledgeable in proxmox is needed to figure this out. I think it's doable, but the vlan bs to the guest has to be mapped out correctly.

Maybe I am inferring wrong, but sort of confused on how you might be doing wan nic passthrough (iommu or sr-iov?) to UTM at the same time the proxmox host is using that same nic to do the wpa-auth?

In case I want to give this a try in the future, what steps did you use to do WPA-auth on the promox host?

Last edited:
My apologies. There are 2 servers involved. I was doing the host wpa auth on a test box so as not to muck up the main one.

On the main (production), utm has wan nic in pass through to sophos utm (suse linux based). Within utm nothing special at all is done with respect to vlan0. Literally wpa_sup references the certs, loads at boot time to handle eapol requests. Standard wan dhcp, no special flags or anything else set. Everything works great. Except I want to move away from UTM.

On the test box wpa_supplicant was installed to the host itself with nics presented to the vm (pfsense and utm) as virtio devices.

To handle wpa auth on the host I installed the wpa_supplicant package. Used the same wpa_supplicant.conf file from utm above. It doesn't change - still referencing the same certs and has same rg mac address. I confirm auth in wpa_cli. I can see the exchange occurring then "status" command indicates;

Supplicant PAE state=AUTHENTICATED
suppPortStatus=Authorized
EAP state=SUCCESS

In the previous test scenario, wpa_auth was happening within the guest pfsense vm, with wan dhcp working properly. This is with the wan nic vlan0 being set in the proxmox network config. Quite confused why this isn't happening when wpa auth on the host.

I did try setting the host wan nic mac to that of rg. Auth works every time, but no dhcp.

I did some more testing today on the test box.

From scratch, got it to a state where wpa_sup auth worked within the pfsense guest. Then killed the daemon and re-enabled it on the host. It appears if wpa auth happens on the host, dhcp requests from the guest are not making it out.

Tried using the vlan and native interface as bridge members, no go.

Adding any vlan0 to the guest seems to break the host's wpa auth ability.

Might sound weird but try to restart the ont and then try again. I have had once or twice where it would allow dhcp to a new VM after I restarted the ont.

^^I can still get an ip in pfsense if I revert the network config so pf is doing the wpa auth. Also, reconnecting wan back to prod server, utm (where wan nic is passed through) was able to get an IP no problem.

If the ont was the issue, I'd expect to NOT get an ip on one or both of the above vm's.

Further testing has revealed an unfortunate side effect of this vlan0 use. Using virtio for both wan/lan interfaces results in significantly higher cpu usage.

I can't compare apples/apples yet because I haven't gotten pf 23.01 to recognize eapol traffic when nic is in passthrough. However, this does work great with utm.

Running speed tests (speedtest windows app), download is saturated and upload is about 90-95% of line speed in pf. Cpu usage is a good 2-4x more compared to utm w/ wan in pass through. This is especially prevalent on the upload. In terms of watts;

utm (pass through) - ~105 watts
pf - ~115w (download) , 150-155w upload

Multiple queues are enabled in the virtio setting for both (at 4, as 4 vcpu's are allocated to pf vm).

With utm (pass through), upload saturates fully.

When I get a chance to take the network down again I'll try pf with passthrough using -vlanhwfilter option to see if that passes eapol traffic on the igb interface (i211).

This has all been quite the rabbit hole. In fact one i'd love to avoid but will be confronted with sooner or later as utm is going EOL. Office date is 6/2026, but it's been eol for some time now with no feature updates in at least 2 years, and bare minimal bug fixes along the way.

^^Thanks. Worth a shot.

It is curious why you didn't have to set the flag on the fwbr interface while others did. Wonder what's different.

If the vmbrx interfaces have the firewall option checkmarked, then the fwbr interface will also need to have the "8" flag set. Not sure why one would have the proxmox host firewall enabled as *sense (or whatever firewall vm) is doing the firewalling.

If the vmbrx interfaces have the firewall option checkmarked, then the fwbr interface will also need to have the "8" flag set. Not sure why one would have the proxmox host firewall enabled as *sense (or whatever firewall vm) is doing the firewalling.
OK, I do not have the proxmox host firewall enabled on. In addition, I define this bridge at /etc/network/interfaces.d/eap_auth and my /etc/network/interfaces file has the below line: source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* so proxmox is blind to this bridge, but by memory this worked for me when I defined it in /etc/network/interfaces as well.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/h...y-tags-to-pfsense-for-dhcp.112374/post-544795

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!