How to open ports 53 and 123

reachmedia

Jan 24, 2018
Hi,

I've checked the following ports, 25, 26, 8006 are open on PMG. However when I tried to do the port testing from my firewall to ports 53 and 123, it indicated as connection refused -> i assumed it is closed.

Is there any way to open it in PMG? I've checked the iptables rules, ufw and did not find anything any rules on it.

Thanks for advising.

By default no firewall rules are configured on a PMG install.
Did you manually configure it?

HI, I did not configure any firewall rules nor install any firewall libraries i.e. iptables or ufw. If that being a case, can I install a CSF firewall in PMG and configure open ports?

Last edited:
If you haven't configured it manually these 2 ports should be open.
How did you test it?

Hi, I've actually run a open port test from my Untangle firewall to port 25, 26, 53, 80, 123, 2703 and 8006.

Only the ports 53 and 123 have refused connection and I've alr open it in my firewall for all local lan interfaces.

123 is for outgoing traffic. So your machine willl not listen on this port.
Ur server connect ntpd servera for sync ur server time. Remote ntpd will listen from port 123.

Reactions: reachmedia

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!