How to move raw image on ZFS

KB2017

Mar 27, 2020
I'm new to ZFS and Proxmox and I'm stuck. I used zsync to copy a raw disk from node1 to node2.

Now I want to manually import the raw image and start the VM on node2

I run zfs list and see the image rpool/sync/vm-103-disk-0 but I don't know how to make that image available to Proxmox.

What's the command to move that image and what location should i move it to?

1585329981787.png

Hi,

i would create a VM as it is required. Same disk size as the transferred raw source.
Then i would zfs remove rpool/data/vm-lxc-orwhatherver-vm-ID-disk-ID, to delete it's disk.
The I would replace the disk with zfs send and receive or zfs rename rpool/sync/vm-103-disk-0 rpool/data/vm-lxc-orwhatherver-vm-ID-disk-ID.
And start the VM.

You're welcome.

Thanks for the reply. Node 2 is zfs, but the storage type is directory, so I do not see the raw images under zfs rpool they are listed under /var/lib/vz/images/107/vm-107-disk-0.raw

I'm trying to move rpool/sync/vm-103-disk-0 to /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-0.raw

Thanks for the reply. Node 2 is zfs, but the storage type is directory, so I do not see the raw images under zfs rpool they are listed under /var/lib/vz/images/107/vm-107-disk-0.raw

I'm trying to move rpool/sync/vm-103-disk-0 to /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-0.raw

Why would you want to do this? ZFS (with its zvol) is superior to RAW files in every way.

I guess I'm missing something. This is a new installation of Proxmox, I have 4 disk in the server with raid 10 and a ZFS root file system. /var/lib/vz/images/103/vm-103-disk-0.raw is the default location Proxmox uses to store the VM images. I don't see an options to create another storage location.

Should I reinstall Proxmox with a smaller partition for ZFS root, and create a 2nd ZFS partition for VM storage?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!