How to migrate VM which is larger SSD to smaller SSD.

bravo0916

Member
Jan 29, 2024
67
8
13
Hello team,

I would like to migrate one VM machine which disk size is around 200GB to smaller SSD disk size (like 60GB). Could you please adivise me some hints for this.

Thank you very much for your support!

Regards,
 
The safe ways is to create a new (smaller) VM and copy over only the data that your need (and fits). If you feel adventurous then search the forum for shrinking virtual disks, which depends on the OS inside the VM, filesystem type inside the VM, Proxmox storage type and comes with lots of caveats (which is why it is not supported by Proxmox).
 
Last edited:
Hi leesteken,

Thanks for your quick feedback. Here is the steps. I have question about number 2 step. What kinds of files should I copy?
Is there any an instruction document or something like this? if you know, I apprecaite if you can share the link.

1. Create new VM box with 60GB disk size.
2. Copy over original VM machine's data.