How to make second zfs pool as storage

Maher Khalil

Jul 11, 2021
I have installed proxmox in zfs raid mirror 2 x 250GB NVMe => first pool
I have created second zfs pool as raid mirror 2 x 1.6 TB SSD => second pool
I have created third zfs pool as raidz1 4 x 2.4 TB HDD ==== => third pool
now proxmox use only the first pool as storage for metadata, iso, templates, backups ...etc as storage
I would like to make third pool as storage instead of the first one
How can I do that

hi,

how did you create the 2nd and 3rd pools?
i'm asking because if you create them using the GUI they should be added automatically.

to answer your question, you can check out the file /etc/pve/storage.cfg. there you will see your existing zfs storage.
just copy it and change the name of the storage and pool, then it should work.

for example you can replace the following with your own:
Code:
zfspool: STORAGENAME
        pool POOLNAME
        content rootdir,images
        nodes NODENAME
        sparse 1

Yes I created second and third using GUI
I can use them only for VM disks but cannot store iso, templates or bacups on them as on local storage
Is it ok to install proxmox in HDD then can use them for backups, iso and templates insted the existing first pool which is NVMe?
will it affect the VM performance if I installed proxmox on HDD instead of VMs (VMs will be on SSD or NVMe)?

Last edited:
I can use them only for VM disks but cannot store iso, templates or bacups on them as on local storage
ZFS can only store VM or CT disk images.

Is it ok to install proxmox in HDD then can use them for backups, iso and templates insted the existing first pool which is NVMe?
will it affect the VM performance if I installed proxmox on HDD instead of VMs (VMs will be on SSD or NVMe)?
i would suggest you to use the faster NVME/SSD storage for guests.
with root filesystem on HDD you will experience some slowness, but VM disks are generally written to more often so it should work out better.
you could also try destroying one of the existing pools and making another storage type (e.g. directory) in place of it. then you'll be able to store backups and templates.

alternatively you can create a directory storage in one of the mounted ZFS pools, and allow the different content types to be stored that way (that's how the local storage can store them for example, even if your rootfs is ZFS based)

Last edited:
It is new server which have no data, I can do reinstall.
I am confused how proxmox store data when creating VM
My understanding is:
create meta data on local zfs (first pool created with proxmox installation) => I think that will affect VM speed
create VM disk in selected pool (second or third) as harddisk for VM => will not affect VM speed
It that right?

My understanding is:
create meta data on local zfs (first pool created with proxmox installation) => I think that will affect VM speed
create VM disk in selected pool (second or third) as harddisk for VM => will not affect VM speed
it's usually not so straightforward, the second or third disk can also affect VM speed depending on how the VM itself is configured inside.

It is new server which have no data, I can do reinstall.
you could select "ext4" during the installation (default option) to have the basic local storage (on HDD?)
and put the rest of the disks in pools where you'll create your VMs on. i'd only use the HDD for storing backups or templates etc., and keep all guests on the faster disks.

So, If i installed proxmox on HDD => proxmox os itself will be affected
and VM on SSD pool => VM speed will not be affected
right?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!