How to login to proxmox?

Mar 6, 2020
Some of you might remember seeing me on here whining about not being able to boot into my live usb recently... Well I finally figured it out, just installed it and I’m unable to login, if I’m logging in from Firefox on a windows 10 laptop and the proxmox ip address is https://192.168.100.2:8006/
What can I do to fix this or are there any other alternatives?

What is the error received?
You can add a screenshot or something more clear?

I'm pretty sure they are, I know they're both in the 192.168 range but what would be the best way to verify that?

On the server screen it will shows you the ip, i think you set dhcp during the instalation and not static ip.
If you login from diffrent network on the server check if the ports ar open on the router/firewall

Yeah it's the same address as the one in the screen and no it's not on another LAN, could it still be set to dhcp what do?

can you on your windows pc give the output of ipconfig?
start > CMD > type "ipconfig"

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::20d9:db79:4393:3a2f%12
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.58.47
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:6c50:17f:9e6c:0:8b78:bf65:9961
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:6c50:17f:9e6c:9567:419:d111:24d4
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2600:6c50:17f:9e6c:98ba:7eba:8a77:faad
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9567:419:d111:24d4%13
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.41
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ae84:c9ff:fe89:c8a%13

Think I got it. Your windows PC has the ip: 192.168.1.41 with subnet 255.255.255.0
The subnet 255.255.255.0 means that the network of your computer varies only on the last digit, so your computer can only reach 192.168.1.XXX
Note that your proxmox server defaulted to 192.168.100.2, and does not fall in the range of your computer.

The way to fix it is either edit the ip address of your proxmox server from the cli on that server to be in the same range as your PC.
Alternatively you get edit your PC's adress to be in the same range as your server: Go to properties of your wlan adapter, double click "internet protocol v4 (TCP/IPv4)" and change ip address from change automatically to manual, use 192.168.100.xxx (where xxx is not the same as your proxmox ip, for two computers cannot have the same IP on a network) subnet should be 255.255.255.0, default gateway should be 192.168.100.1
Note that in this last case you won't have internet access till you revert the steps. But in this latter case you can edit the server's ip via a gui

Reactions: Bidi
Sorry a little lost, can't find the wlan adapter settings so how would I go about doing it the first way?

Last edited:
sure, I'll try to help you through it, and will start of with a note that I'm definitly not an expert on this. But can you give the output of:
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat means reading the file, interfaces is the file contaning your network configuration. Or will this be a challenge with copy paste etc?

Ok thnx appreciated I'm a newb (first successful installation) to proxmox but a long time linux user. Problem is I can't copy it remotely yet so I don't know how I'd paste the output with no gui on the server?

Ok thnx appreciated I'm a newb (first successful installation) to proxmox but a long time linux user. Problem is I can't copy it remotely yet so I don't know how I'd paste the output with no gui on the server?
The first think is you shoud read about networking/lan ...etc to understand this thinks because you will start making vms and you will have lots of problems and specialy if you have 2VMs runing same ports (aplication) and you whant to make them public true your public ip, this is imposible and.

If is just to play with it whell is ok, but if you whant to make sompting public with multiple vms and you dont have more then 1 public ip from your isp i recomand to rent an small cheap dedicated server with proxmox on it with aditional ips, this is the way i provide to ower customers who whants or a big server.

kind of hoped you were sshing or used ipmi or something. Ok so plan b.
I agree that reading up on networking is a must, but playing around with a box at home is fun in its own way, and by the questions asked I'm guissing it's not a professional installation. And sometimes just getting the initials steps is the hurdle to overcome.

For access to proxmox: Basically you can first inspect the file (cat /etc/network/interfaces)
I expect an ouput that looks like:
Code:
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet static
        address 192.168.100.2
you will want to edit the ip (using nano /etc/network/interfaces) to something within the ip range you are currently using on your LAN, so for example 192.168.1.50
Then reboot an it should work. I think, but I'm also still a newb, or slightly above the level of newb.

If all else fails, you could also re-install proxmox and make sure to enter an ip in the right range during that configuration step.

Changed it, I know it's not working cuz it still says Welcome to the Proxmox Virtual Environment. Please use your web browser to configure this server - connect to: https://192.168.100.2:8006
but I changed /etc/network/interfaces so now it looks like:
Code:
root@pve:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
 auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
               address 192.168.1.50
               netmask 255.255.255.0
               gateway 192.168.100.1
               bridge_ports eno1
               bridge_stp off
               bridge_fd 0
Does that look alright or is that not the problem, why does it still say the ip is 192.168.100.2?

looks fair to me. gateway should also be edited though to 192.168.1.1
Not sure where it gets the ip from, could also be that it's from a different config file, but not sure exactly.
Have you tried connecting to https://192.168.1.50:8006 ?

If that doesn't work, i would make sure to find the ip setting in windows I talked about earlier. (yes there should be a better way by editing some file in cli, but I'm probally forgetting where/how then). on windows 10 it should be: network connections (just type in start) right mouse on your adapter, properties, internet protocol version 4. And edit it to something in the 192.168.100.xx range, same for gateway. Do make sure to revert changes to etc/network/interfaces.
You should be able to reach your server then

Does that look alright or is that not the problem, why does it still say the ip is 192.168.100.2?
you need to adapt '/etc/hosts' as well - the node-name needs to resolve to the ip you've configured.
* make sure `ping -c 1 $(uname -n)` shows the new ip

you need to adapt '/etc/hosts' as well - the node-name needs to resolve to the ip you've configured.
* make sure `ping -c 1 $(uname -n)` shows the new ip
Here's the output I get for that:
Code:
root@pve:~# ping -c 1 $(uname -n)
PING pve.riddlefactory.node1 (192.168.100.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.1.50 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
---  pve.riddlefactory.node1 ping statistics  ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 received, +1 errors, 100% packet loss, time 0ms
I tried running that command once before I changed the gateway then with the gateway changed to 192.168.1.1 and it's still exactly the same output as above how do I adapt /etc/hosts so that it resolves?
Sorry can you please just give me an example of what /etc/hosts should look like?

Last edited:
Would reinstalling be an easier fix, if so what would I need to do differently for the network settings this time besides entering an ip in the right range?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!