How to limit clock speed for CPU

MasterGberry

Jul 9, 2013
Hi. I am creating VM's for proxmox, and I see there is a drop down for different types of CPU's, by default it just uses a core of the regular CPU, but what if I want to limit it?

I have a 1230v2 i7 in my server, and by default the clock speed is 3.2 ghz I believe. I want to limit this down to half of a core for one of my clients, to give him around 1.5ghz or 1.6ghz of processing power. Is there an option to do something like this in proxmox? Do I need to use a different CPU architecture type?

Thanks.

Here you go
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/3110-Limit-CPU-for-openvz-on-proxmox-1-4?p=17401#post17401

It seems you can limit the CPU, but you can only set how many CPU from the WebGUI. The rest needs to be set in the CLI

Hi. Ok so I need to use the CLI. I am a bit new to cloud computing, and I have the following config file at the moment:

root@proxmox1:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/103.conf
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1
ide0: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,size=20G
ide2: local:iso/CentOS-6.3-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso,media=cdrom,size=4188854K
memory: 1024
name: tariq
net0: e1000=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX,bridge=vmbr0,rate=25
ostype: other
sockets: 1

So the cores is set to 1 in this config file which i found in /etc/pve/qemu-server/103.conf

What do I need to set to half the amount of power that this core receives? CPUUNITS? How does this compare to the other VM's that don't have this set.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!