How to let users view and restore backups

ixproxmox

Renowned Member
Nov 25, 2015
Hi,

I have proxmox 4.0 and I have managed to create a PVEVMUser that can handle their own VM.

Backups appear for me as admin, but no backups appear for this user. I have tried to add /backup/ID (id beeing the vm) and tried just /backup. But it never appear in the vm users login-area. So he/she can't do any backups, only automatick/admin can do that. Same with snapshot. I understand that it has something with permissions to the /backup-path, but I have tried following the manual - nothing helps.

The user needs 'VM.Backup' permissions on the VM and 'Datastore.AllocateSpace' on the (backup) storage.

The user needs 'VM.Backup' permissions on the VM and 'Datastore.AllocateSpace' on the (backup) storage.

I can't find any of the permission types (VM.Backup or Datastore.AllocateSpace). I have checked the permissions-tab both on "Datacenter"-top level, inside the storage-tab and on the permissions on the vm itself. I have also seen this in the manual, but I can't locate the setting it at all. Permission types I find is PVEVmAdmin, PVDATASTOREUSER and similar. Not a single one is having Backup in its name. Is it a shell command only perhaps?

Maybe I just have overlooked something in the user interface, but I have used hours trying to understand this :/

Why? - just assign the appropriate roles to the VM and storage.

Could you please be more newbie-frendly. I don't know how to be able to give the appropiate role to the VM and storage to do backup/restore as a vm customer. That is what my first question was about and the hole reason for me asking here. I don't find a role that contains the permissions "VM.Backup" nor "Datastore.AllocateSpace" as you reference as a property.

A good guide would be this: Click the vm, choose permission, click "Add", enter role "bla" to "backup" for user.
And then the same for storage, click storage, choose permission...

Thanks Jeff I saw that document before but it did not make sense for me.
Nevertheless, I did finally work it out. Not sure if this is the best way to do it but it works for me.
For dummies like me here is what I did via the web GUI (ver 3.2) for VM users who also need to backup VMs:
Datacenter | Groups | Create
Enter Name (eg, AD-UsersBackup) and comment if needed and click Create
Datacenter | Groups | Users
Assign user to the new group you just created.
Datacenter | Groups | Permissions | Add | Group Permission
For Path enter what they need to access. For eg if all Vms enter /
For Group select the new group you just created.
For Role I selected PVEVMUser (you may choose something else but again this seemed to work best for our needs)
Propagate enabled for me and click the Add button
On the left had pane of the web gui Expand Datacenter | %hostname% | Select you backup storage (eg, Local (%hostname%))
Go to the Permissions tab and select Add | Group Permission
I selected PVEVMUserAllocateSpace (this is where i got confused with the wiki document as it did not list Datastore.AllocateSpace so I chose the one that looked similar).
Click Add and the user should be able to backup now.
Hope this helps others.

I noticed that this is different for version 4 now.
Here is what I done in version 4:

Go to Datacenter | Permissions | Authentication
Create
Name: UsersBackup
Comment: Allow users to backup to local disk

Go to Datacenter | Permissions | Users
Edit the User(s) requiring permission by including the group UsersBackup to their account

Go to Datacenter | Select the Proxmox host with local backup storage
Expand the proxmox host and select the local backup disk
Select the Permissions tab
Add | Group Permission
Select Group: AD-UsersBackup
Select Role: PVEDatastoreUser
Add

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!