How to integrate BitDefender Antivirus with PMG

Many thanks. Really strange, I chown and chmod the file to the user, avast service is running with and to 777, but in /tmp it works.

The problem in that case is that the avast-process can't access /root (and no file beneath it like /root/eicar.com).

The problem in that case is that the avast-process can't access /root (and no file beneath it like /root/eicar.com).

Strange, but thanks. However, I just now also found, that avast is somehow similar like BitDefender as on the problem, that the solution (Avast for Linux) seems to be anyhow available, but may be EOL, minimum it's out of service. As of my issues I wrote in their forum, I opened a ticket, but nothing happened at all. If entering avasts website through the normal homepage, I don't see any link or information to Avast for Linux and in the forums there were often posts about Avast for Linux not dead (yet) and there may be worked on, but nothing happened, no new version, no official response, ... So it's like BitDefender for Unices, which you can Google, but it's nothing official supported anymore, so it exists, take it or leave it, but that's nothing to depend on.

I therefor now will check https://www.mailscanner.info/MailScanner.conf.index.html#Virus Scanners for possible alternatives, which look like being still supported, demonized with CLI tool. I'm sure, Proxmox currently won't invest efforts like integrating Sophos via their programmable interface, which let Sophos run demonized as the call won't be just to run a CLI script and parse its output but need programming API calls. So I will focus on solutions, which can be run much easier and will then try to call back for assistance on performing the regex on the response.

I know, but that doesn't mean anything, BitDefender for Unices is also still available https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-configure-bitdefender-scanner-for-unices-837.html but EOL https://unices.bitdefender.com

So that's my problem, neither avast.com nor avast.com/store shows any evidence of Linux, so if you don't know the deep links, you won't find the product. For sure, the links exist, but for BitDefender (as well as some others) such links don't mean anything. You may also still find pages about Windows XP at Microsoft.com.

So here comes the result of my investigations:

Amount of (active) Linux AV products is much lower than Windows (also Mac products arise more than Linux).
Amount of products with CLI scanner get much more rare (for sure, developers try to fetch additional markets around their solutions, so it's better for them to offer an own mail security solution including spam checks etc. than offering CLI for other solutions, just same offer integration, but then provide APIs for OEMs).
Amount of CLI scanners which come with a daemon to increase scan speed are most rare.

So finally there are only a few solutions left, but I also didn't test some, as their pricing is on mailboxes, so I won't find any supporters here:
- Sophos (only available with daemon via API calls, so may be sth. for Proxmox to consider in future)
- F-Prot (seems to be dead, all order links are broken, pricing depends on users, so won't adopt)
- F-Secure (same as F-Prot, pricing is not attractive)
- Avast (state of development/support is unclear, only deep link exists, pages name is Avast 2014, that's nearly 5 years in the past, a long time in IT, similar to BitDefender for Unices, which is definitive EOL)
=> Eset is the only solution I now found, daemonized, fast, still supported and official sold and attractive in pricing (cheaper than Avast))

I will now create a new thread asking for integration support for Eset

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!