How to increase networking performance between 2 Linux VM's on the same host & bridge

iamspartacus

Sep 9, 2020
I'm trying to increase the networking performance between 2 Linux VM's on the same Proxmox host and bridge. I've tried both a Linux bridge and OVS bridge. I've tried increasing MTU to 900o and multiqueue to 4. I can't seem to get above 25-30Gbps between the VMs. I'm running these VM's on an EPYC 7443p system and when I monitor the cpu during the testing, CPU is not even 25% utilized. I've tried testing with iperf (version 2), iperf3, NFS file transfers (very slow), and SMB file transfers (I can get up to 2.5GB/s).

I'm just not sure where the bottleneck is.

no, you should try split your single cpu into 4 numa nodes in the BIOS, then assign "cpu affinity" manually to each VM with output of numactl -H.

edit: btw, 30 Gb/s seems already fast.

Last edited:
no, you should try split your single cpu into 4 numa nodes in the BIOS, then assign "cpu affinity" manually to each VM with output of numactl -H.

edit: btw, 30 Gb/s seems already fast.

How will that affect VMs that use more CPUs than a single NUMA node has?

As for 30 Gb/s being fast. Sure, to some. But I'm trying to take advantage of some fast NVMe pools I have on another VM that are capable of 10GB/s.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!