how to identify PVE type and attach existing backup drive to new PVE installation

Oct 6, 2021
Hi,

my previous installation looked like that:
/dev/nvme0n1 for LVM and LVM-Thin (system and all VM were installed on them)
/dev/sda1 was used for backup

/dev/nvme0n1 was corrupted and was replaced - I installed PVE on the identical new nvme0n1 - in the attached pdf you find some screenshots.

How do I connect the /dev/sda1 which I can see in the disk section in order to write the backups of the VMs back to LVM-thin?

I hope somebody can give me a simple to follow "how-to"

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• screenshots.pdf
    295.6 KB · Views: 0
Find out what filesystwm was used. fdisk -l /dev/sda or lsblk could help with that.

Then edit your /etc/fstab and add a new line to mount that partition on boot. There are a lot of Debian/Ubuntu tutorials explainimg this. And I would highly recommend to use the UUID instead of /dev/sda1

You can then add a new directory storage, with the content types you want, pointing to that mountpoint using the webUI: Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> Directory

Then you need to tell PVE that this storage is a mountpoint which can only be done using the CLI:
pvesm set <StorageID> --is_mountpoint yes

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!