How to get the exactly backup size in proxmox backup

what about adding a sum/total of each VMs backup size and also print how many chunks/mb are unique to a VM, for easier identification of real "space eaters"

Yeah in both Proxmox VE and Proxmox Backup Server, we really need the ability to see higher-level statistics for usage. Some examples:
  1. How much Bytes-On-Disk was used total for each Backup Task across an entire Proxmox VE cluster (one backup task configuration typically backs things up across multiple Proxmox VE nodes, tallying this info up per-task across all nodes is valuable information). And a way to actually look at the aggregate history of the Backup Task, instead of having to go per-Proxmox-VE-Node. As this becomes a scaling problem with many Proxmox VE nodes in current design.
  2. Being able to see similar info to #1 but from the Proxmox Backup Server webGUI/CLI perspective. Being able to check the total stats, like total disk usage, and some drill-down, per task, would really help determine how "big" each backup task is in-totality (before dedup? unsure). Useful for things like Sync task planning.
  3. These aggregate logs could also include transfer and other performance speed metrics to help identify any "unexpectedly slow" Proxmox VE nodes, again to help scaling problems (do you really want to do that manually for hundreds or thousands of nodes in a Proxmox VE Cluster? I know I don't!).
The backup ecosystem is really great, but this level of reporting is very lacking. Especially for determining backup failures at-scale per Proxmox VE Object. If I have hundreds of Proxmox VE nodes in a single cluster, well that is then hundreds of Backup Tasks I need to manually review _per Backup Task execution_ and that's an extremely inefficient way to do it. Sometimes drilling down that manually is very worthwhile, but there are scenarios where that's very inefficient. So having both IMO is the way to go, and both Proxmox VE and Proxmox Backup Server should have these aspects fleshed out a lot more.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!