[TUTORIAL] How To Get and use PVE Tickets

maomaocake

Feb 13, 2022
So I had a project where I needed to login with username and password instead of a Token and I could not find any documentation. I spent around an hour looking thru the perl API (I do not code in perl so the syntax was totally alien to me) so I thought I would share it for other.

Firstly we will need at Ticket to access any other resources, to get a ticket we will send a POST request to
Code:
http://{yourserver}:8006/api2/json/access/ticket
You will need to set the query parameters with your username, password, realm and otp if configured like so
Code:
https://{server}:8006/api2/json/access/ticket?username={username}&password={password}&realm={pam}

After which you will get back a JSON containing a ticket and CSRFPreventionToken, we will set these 2 parameters as a header.
The CSRFPreventionToken uses the Header name CSRFPreventionToken and the ticket uses the header name cookie, however the ticket needs to be pre-pended with PVEAuthCookie= before being sent.

Congrats You now can use logins with your username and password.

@maomaocake One comment about using query parameters: since this is in the URL, it may end up in logs (not where you want a username/password combo). I would recommend putting the key/value pairs in an application/json encoded body or application/x-www-form-urlencoded body instead. Then the user's credentails are less likely to be logged somewhere.

Code:
POST /api2/json/access/ticket HTTP/1.1
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
Host: example.com:8006
Connection: close
Content-Length: 49

{"username":"apiuser@pve","password":"testtest"}

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!