How to get a VMware Workstation image running on Proxmox?

maeries

Jul 10, 2015
My situation is the following: I have a server running Proxmox. Now I need to get a software running that we got as a VMware Workstation image and it's recommended to use Workstation Player 12 or 14. How do I do that?

I guess I have to install VMware workstation Player in a VM. Does a LXC work, too? If not, do I put Linux or Windows in the VM? If I choose Linux, do I need a GUI?

I just need some tipps to get me started.

Is the image a single .vmdk file? Generally, you can import .vmdk files directly into Proxmox VE virtual machine with a few steps.
  • Create a virtual machine in Proxmox VE
  • Remove the disk that the wizard creates. You should now have zero disks for the virtual machine.
  • Use qm importdisk <vmid> <your_vmdk_image> <a_pve_storage> to import the disk image. In the hardware view of your VM it should now show up as unassigned disk.
  • Double click the unassigned disk to make it usable. While SCSI is faster, try IDE or SATA if your image does not boot
There is a small related guide in the wiki.

I guess I have to install VMware workstation Player in a VM. Does a LXC work, too?
You cannot use Windows inside an LXC container because LXC containers share the kernel with the Proxmox VE host.
If not, do I put Linux or Windows in the VM? If I choose Linux, do I need a GUI?
From the view of Proxmox VE this is completely up to you. You can install Windows or Linux, with or without GUI in the virtual machine. You can do whatever needs to be done to get VMware player and your software running.

Reactions: falconwifi
Hi I have the same problem, I'm trying to boot a working linux machine on Vmware Workspace. I made several attempts also going from Vbox and the present image also starting from a physical copy on Vmware the image always starts without problems. On Proxmox the boot happens correctly but then when it tries to load the disk it goes to problems.

After several attempts I managed to solve.

I first made the conversion from vmdk - to Qcow2 via console with the following command:

qemu-img convert -O qcow2 startiamge - imagenew

Then I changed the disco type from SCSI to SATA leaving the VirtlO controller.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!