How to find Mac Address of Network Devices

Enspist

Jul 16, 2023
I am trying to pass through 2 NICs to a VM however, I am not sure which network device is which on the networking page of the PVE portal.

I just added a new Realtek NIC, and it seems to have rearranged which network device is which.

vmrb0 used to be connected to my motherboard NIC via enp10s0; however when I turned my server on and had ethernet cables plugged into both the motherboard and the PCIe card, one of the NICs on the card seemed to be the one transmitting data through enp10s0 which doesn't make a ton of sense.

The Network Devices that are listed are:
enp10s0
enp13s0
enp7s0
enp9s0

I am unsure which is which and I need to figure that out before I go and pass through the NIC on the PCIe card. I want the NIC on my motherboard to be the one that proxmox used to connect my server to my home network.

Does anyone have some ideas on how to find this out?

Simple approach: just run watch ip link. You'll see a list of all known NICs, the current state (UP/DOWN) and the MAC.

Now plug in or remove network cables to your switch (or to any other device - for this test ist doesn't matter). You will see the "state" toggling and now you know which enpX is which MAC is which physical port :)

Best regards

----
Just as an example of what to expect:
Code:
All 2,0s: ip link                                                                  mymachine: Sun Oct 22 11:13:05 2023

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp1s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a8:a1:59:57:7b:56 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 1a:90:03:d7:c2:cb brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff permaddr 40:ec:99:63:47:e1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!