[SOLVED] How to filter subjects with UTF-Encoding

Mar 20, 2024
Hello everyone,

I am facing this problem: I have a large list of keywords that I search for in the subject and then block; however, mails with a subject like this one still come through:

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?Umllc2lnZSBQcmVpc3JlZHVrdGlvbjogV2Vya3N0YXR0d2FnZW4gZsO8ciAyNDksLSBzdGF0dCA2OTksLSBFdXJvIQ==?= BPg/PTLut/NPPFikQD0wRodnrM4V4+vTpVJXUbfcKP/vGilPZVTyBnWxvsO K4eKHDI1+5oTX3LxlRfXIOBFeNtFjHgRa+tcaWK918OEi8HuavJ6c/fbDVTvgYpKFWUxhs0JBvQl 94PYWFQjmpmFGxKviKY=

this then resolves in plain text to (translated) "Huge price reduction: Workshop trolley for 249,- instead of 699,- Euro!" -> so my direct search term "workshop trolley" is not working at all.

Doesn´t PMG decode these lines during the check? Or how can I tell it to do so and THEN search for the terms? Or do I have to proceed in a completely different way ?

Filtering on the UTF-8 part in the subject (via regex) is more of a problem, because other mails that should go through have a subject like this, for example:

Subject: =?UTF-8?Q?LIVE-Webinar:_NIS2-Compliance_meister:?= =?UTF-8?Q?_Ein_=C3=9Cberblick_mit_Veeam_und_Manuel_Atug?=

and would then also be filtered.

At least, with these kinds of subjects i still have a "plain text" part with which I can work, but in the "bad" example above it is completely "encrypted" and not directly readable.

I would be very grateful for any tips on this!

Thank you very much,

Markus

The match is done on the decoded header fields (not the one with mime-encoding) - so on "Workshop trolley for 249,- instead of 699,- Euro!" instead of "=?UTF-8?B?Umllc2lnZSBQcmVpc3JlZHVrdGlvbjogV2Vya3N0YXR0d2FnZW4gZsO8ciAyNDksLSBzdGF0dCA2OTksLSBFdXJvIQ=...."

if you share your actual regular expression and the actual Subject (and the logs of an affected mail) we might be able to see where the issue might be.

Hi Stoiko, thanks for the reply.

here we go: (Hint: "Werkstattwagen" is the german word for "Workshop Trolley" :) )

i attached the complete Mail-Header and the log from PMG for this mail in the .txt-file.

The subject line

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?Umllc2lnZSBQcmVpc3JlZHVrdGlvbjogV2Vya3N0YXR0d2FnZW4gZsO8ciAyNDksLSBzdGF0dCA2OTksLSBFdXJvIQ==?=

decodes (UTF-8/Base64) to:

"Riesige Preisreduktion: Werkstattwagen für 249,- statt 699,- Euro!"

This should then fit to the "Match Field" / Subject-Value like here which i am using in the top-level Block-Rule.

1718266948859.png

Thanks and kind regards.

Markus

Attachments

• Mail-Subject_Log.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 5
Works here - I created a rule with:
* What Object - containing a Match Field-object that has subject as field and Werkstattwagen as value.
* Action Object - Block

Sent the Mail-Subject_log.txt as you sent it (it qualifies as an email with the headers on top) - and the mail got blocked as desired...

* How does your ruleset look like - how does the rule that contains the Match field object look like?
* does the direction of the rule match?
* is the rule active?

Thats what i have:

a Rule named "Block Strings" with Direction "In", Active "yes", with Action "BLOCK" and What-Objects named "Strings" which is containing e.g. the clear words i want to filter , one by one. (one line for "Werkstattwagen" another for "KI = rich" and so on ...

1718280159424.png

Strings: (just an excerpt):

1718280214189.png

If you believe me or not: i just tested the whole thing once again, sending mails from internal hosts as well as my external test-machine: NOW (since about 13pm , no changes actually made on ruleset or so. just manually updated the spamassassin-files because i saw that it was available, now it works and the mails are beeing blocked:

2024-06-13T14:20:10.420464+02:00 mail pmg-smtp-filter[817409]: 2C16D1666AE3F54AFF0: SA score=3/5 time=5.061 bayes=0.01 autolearn=no autolearn_force=no hits=ALL_TRUSTED(-1),AWL(0.385),BAYES_05(-0.5),DATE_IN_PAST_96_XX(3.405),HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS(0.25),JMQ_SPF_NEUTRAL(0.5),KAM_DMARC_STATUS(0.01),MISSING_MID(0.497),SCC_BODY_SINGLE_WORD(0.166),T_SCC_BODY_TEXT_LINE(-0.01),T_SPF_PERMERROR(0.01)
2024-06-13T14:20:10.422197+02:00 mail pmg-smtp-filter[817409]: 2C16D1666AE3F54AFF0: block mail to <mp@l********k.de> (rule: Block Strings)

I´m really happy, that it is so now ... but: i really do not understand why ...

Kind regards,

Markus

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!