How to disable the root Password

MDA

Jan 13, 2021
Hi,

we usually add a character to the hash of root:.... in the /etc/shadow to disable root Login via password by any means and use only ssh-keys for login and authentication.

i was wondering if this is possible with proxmox and if yes how so? i guess for the gui the password would be required or could we create another user for the gui, who has not the possibility of login via SSH?

We don't like to work with Passwords and want to avoid them where we can.

Thank you!

You can disable the root login just as any other Linux (it is Debian under the hood) using passwd -l root, for example. But first make sure that you add another user with sudo rights (because most command-line management requires root/sudo access). And you will probably need to add sudo with apt-get install sudo first. And make sure that the new user has the right permissions using the Proxmox web GUI, before disabling the root account (which also disables the root login on the web GUI!).

PS: I may have misunderstood your question. I don't know how to login to the web GUI without using passwords, only ssh. Sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!