How to Deny Start-VM when High System Load?

JohnMasinter

May 24, 2023
When too many users start VMs, the system bogs down due to low memory or over provisioned cpu. Is there a way to set some parameters that will deny a start-vm request, based on system resources? Of it not a built-in feature, can the start-vm action be redirected to a script that I provide? The script would check system utilization, and if too high, return without starting VM, otherwise pass control to real start-vm action. Any advice appreciated.

Hi,
I don't think there's any built-in feature for this currently. Well, if the VMs are in a HA-managed cluster, you could use the ha-rebalance-on-start option to select the least busy node to start the VM. If they are not, then yes, you could set a hook script for the VMs, do the check in the pre-start phase and abort if there's not enough resources.

I have developed a hook script that does this, and it works great! I'll share this with everyone via github soon.
Question: per past posts, there is no built-in way to automatically apply a hook script to every newly created VM.
Post# 54985 says you may add a hook script to a template, then every VM created from the template will have the hook.
But I need to apply the hook to every new VM created, with or without a template.
Post external says the work-around for my requirement is to run a forever background script to use inotifywait on /etc/pve/qemu-server to detect any new .conf file, and then automatically add the hook script line to the conf file.
I can do that. But these posts are a couple years old. Before I do that, just checking, has this feature been added to Proxmox recently? Can Proxmox auto add a hook to every new VM created?

I have developed a hook script that does this, and it works great! I'll share this with everyone via github soon.
Question: per past posts, there is no built-in way to automatically apply a hook script to every newly created VM.
Post# 54985 says you may add a hook script to a template, then every VM created from the template will have the hook.
But I need to apply the hook to every new VM created, with or without a template.
Post external says the work-around for my requirement is to run a forever background script to use inotifywait on /etc/pve/qemu-server to detect any new .conf file, and then automatically add the hook script line to the conf file.
I can do that. But these posts are a couple years old. Before I do that, just checking, has this feature been added to Proxmox recently? Can Proxmox auto add a hook to every new VM created?
No, there is not yet an integrated way to specify default options that will apply to all VM create operations.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!