[SOLVED] How to deactivate the Firewall by console/terminal

Simposs

Feb 28, 2024
Germany
www.tacklexperts.de
Hello there! Sadly I am one of the donkeys who activated the Proxmox-Ve Firewall on his dedicated Server before adding a rule for the Backend or SSH.
Now I'm searching for a way to disable the Firewall or change it's rules by using a termin.
My hoster allows me to mount the pve LVM (vg0-root I think) in a rescue system so I could possibly change something to make it work again.

I already located the /etc/pve folder but its empty for me... is that possible or did I just mounted a wrong volume?

Best Regards
Simon

Hello there! Sadly I am one of the donkeys who activated the Proxmox-Ve Firewall on his dedicated Server before adding a rule for the Backend or SSH.
There are hidden anti-lockout-rules in place. As long as you didn't create a custom rule to block port 22, before enabling the firewall, you should still be able to ssh in. See:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Firewall#pve_firewall_default_rules

Now I'm searching for a way to disable the Firewall or change it's rules by using a termin.
My hoster allows me to mount the pve LVM (vg0-root I think) in a rescue system so I could possibly change something to make it work again.

I already located the /etc/pve folder but its empty for me... is that possible or did I just mounted a wrong volume?
/etc/pve is a special filesystem backed by a SQLite DB. Without the pve cluster service running it won't be mounted and you can't change config files. See: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_File_System_(pmxcfs)

Reactions: Simposs
Thanks for your reply , I just managed to change my Firewall-Settings quick and dirty by adding
Code:
* * * * *  root pve-firewall stop
to /etc/crontab.
The hint with the anti-lockout rule came seconds to late but I promise I will try that next time when I made the same mistake again, because who am I to not do the same mistake again and gain :)

Best regards
Simon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!